Home > Trip Reports > Jan 19-22 3 Sisters Breakable crust to lemonade

Jan 19-22 3 Sisters Breakable crust to lemonade

1/19/15
OR elsewhere
Posted by jtack on 1/29/15 3:31am
Travel log warning, no useful information here!

No news here, the NW is not having a great snow year, but there is of course tons of fun to be had if you have a good crew.  Six of us booked a trip with Three Sisters Backcountry Huts (none of us have any affiliation with them), and we were sure hoping for blower when our trip date rolled around, but that was not to be.  We all rendezvoused at Jersey Boy's in Redmond for good pizza and 30+ taps including Boneyard RPM. The next morning when we arrived at the snow park we were all wondering how we were going to get to the yurts.

It was dry pavement for as far as the eye could see, we drove up the road for about two miles to find the snow machines waiting at the snow line, rather ice line.  We loaded our gear in the sleds and slipped our way to the yurts.

A quick rundown on the Yurts, a thank you to the group that proceeded us for leaving their leftover beer, and we were on our way for a tour.  Icy that's what it was, but we were determined to have a look at million dollar views offered in the central cascades.  As we made our way up the scarp of the Tam McArthur Rim, we were not disappointed, it was a beautiful day and the sisters were in all their glory. 

Sorry, can't help myself, really with the good company, and the blue skies, it is just about impossible to have a bad time with these kind of views. As we made our way to the top of the rim the snow did get a little better, a long way from blower, but at least we were out of the breakable crust! At a promontory, we had a bite to eat, and enjoyed the views, and about 700 feet of vertical exposure. 

The ski back to the yurt was not shaping up to be much fun, but we hacked our way down safely and even managed to have a little fun in a spot or two. 

Next day Shane Fox, one of the owners came up and took us on a fantastic tour over to Broken Top, again the climb out was a slog, but Shane set a great track, and we zipped right up.  It's a long haul past Broken Hand, to Broken Top, but the stunning scenery eases the passage, and in no time we were contemplating what we would ski inside the caldera rim.  It is a beautiful place, with a fine selection of ski lines, from fall you die, scare you just to look at them, to low angle cruisers.  We selected a couple in the middle, and took off.  Three chose a steep couloir, and three chose lower angle lines.  We have been using a new expression to describe the skiing this year "Its not great, but it's not that bad" that would about cover it.  The crew that skied the steep, by their own admission had their butts out (I thought they did great) and I took one of the harder spills I have taken for awhile because I was not careful about cleaning out the toe of my Dynafit. 

Just another way Amar has changed our world.

The living is quite good at the yurts, and it's great fun to check out all the creative touches Shane and company have used in their construction.

We did manage to work our way through the left over beer, laugh till our sides hurt, eat wonderful food, and rise and shine before daylight and do it again.

After some of the demanding skiing Mike had been doing, we were on a little before dinner ski behind the yurts, on the way up, and this happened, could have been a nasty fall on some of the lines he had been skiing.

Great trip.

ah, yurts.  Thanks Jamie for the right up.  I'm daydreaming about the next one.

Cool area, I have to visit Oregon soon. Thanks for the trip report. I hope that you too will get some snow soon. Cheers.

Some of my favorite mountain memories include the combination of skis, yurts, and breakfast burritos with friends. Been curious about the Sisters yurts for awhile and this trip report convinces me I've got to check it out next year.  Wondering if they can supply the cook :)  Thanks

Reply to this TR

jan-19-22-3-sisters-breakable-crust-to-lemonade
jtack
2015-01-29 11:31:31