Home > Forum > Q: Ham radio in backcountry

Q: Ham radio in backcountry

• Pavel
  • [pavel]
More
27 Jan 2015 13:31 #223660 by Pavel
Q: Ham radio in backcountry was created by Pavel
Do you use it (amateur radio)?
Seems like a valuable tool (for little weight, $$$ and effort).

Is there any existing 'protocols' specific to backcountry, ski mountaineering, PNW, SAR, DNR, etc.?

Just curious,
-- Pavel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2015 20:19 #223696 by J.P.
Replied by J.P. on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
Pavel -

I almost always carry a small UHF/VHF Ham radio when touring.  Most useful if touring with a radio-equipped partner, but I have used it on overnight tours to make contact with friends/ family when running behind schedule where cell phones were no use (less of an issue now).  A radio with good wide-band receive capability is nice for monitoring NWS forecasts as well as agency traffic (USFS/ NPS).  Repeater coverage is best in central Cascades, with less coverage in the N. Cascades.  PM me if you have specific questions, Yaesu make some great little waterproof radios.

J.P. 

More
07 Feb 2015 22:41 #223770 by Paipo
Replied by Paipo on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
Pavel,

Like J.P., I too use amateur radio in the backcountry for the reasons previously stated.  Although VHF/UHF frequencies provide mostly line of sight communications (like cell phones), the higher power levels levels and more efficient antennas (some highly directional) of ham gear almost guarantees communication from any high point.  It is also an interesting hobby on its own.

-Shane

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Feb 2015 23:06 #223771 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
Ten to twenty years ago I used a ham radio fairly regularly to make auto-patch phone calls home during multi-day trips in the Cascades. I used the K7PP repeater system. I haven't used the radio for a several years and I don't know how good the repeater coverage is anymore. (Note: You obviously need a ham license to do this. As I recall, you also needed a membership access code for the repeater.)

I've never had much luck using cell phones in the mountains. I don't trust them. If I was still doing a lot of longer trips, I would try to keep current with the ham radio alternatives. In my experience, you needed to be very high with almost a line of sight to the Olympic Mountains to hit the K7PP repeater. I don't know what the situation is today.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
08 Feb 2015 20:35 #223779 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
I haven't used the radio linked below as a ham in the back country (no ham license yet), but have programmed and used it as a powerful FRS, and also use it as a NOAA weather receiver.

For $31, this radio does a lot. More than I've had time to explore, including linking up with repeaters for extended range in the back country. Impressive gadget, especially for the price:

Baofeng UV5

If anyone knows of a good ham licensing class and wants to partner up to take it, let me know.

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
09 Feb 2015 00:03 #223783 by David_Lowry
Replied by David_Lowry on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
There is "wilderness protocol" for several ham bands. A search will turn up many articles explaining it.

Yaesu's are great radios. You can open them up to mars/cap band with commander software but note that is illegal, although it becomes a gray area if you transmit on those bands in a life threatening situation.

More
09 Feb 2015 12:50 #223797 by J.P.
Replied by J.P. on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
It has been almost 10 years since I lived in the area and used them frequently, but other good high elevation repeaters (2 Meter) in addition to the K7PP system noted by Lowell used to be Grass Mountain (near Greenwater), Rattlesnake/ King County SAR (I-90) and Mount Constitution (Orcas, Island).  More than once I hit Constitution from Chinook Pass backcountry tours to communicate with family in Whatcom County on a 5 watt handheld Yaesu VX-7R.

Repeaters tend to come and go as funding and interest ebb and flow, but here's a link with a list to provide a sense for what is out there:

JP

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
09 Feb 2015 14:06 #223802 by David_Lowry
Replied by David_Lowry on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
Paipo mentions that your ham license opens up the world of efficient antennas to you. The antenna that comes with handhelds is inefficient. My go to antenna is a quad band Diamond SRH999. It is a quarter wave monopole on 2M, half-wave on higher freq's. Their radiation patterns are much more squashed to the horizon than the little rubber duck antenna. Probably almost no reflected power too. I should do the measurement on the rubber duck and the diamond someday.

If you really want to reach out, I can confirm this is a good recipe for a 3 element Yagi, and a brilliant design, although it is obviously more futzy to set up than the Diamond. It has about twice the gain of the Diamond (dBi scale). Be sure and hold it in the correct orientation! I almost brought it to Yellowstone to listen for radio collars but I found out that directional antennas are against Park rules. I wonder if the same rule holds for our NP's?

www.backpacking.net/makegear/yagi-antenna/

• Pavel
  • [pavel]
More
10 Feb 2015 12:00 #223829 by Pavel
Replied by Pavel on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
The way I see it:
1. Repeaters. Based on the current repeater availability (e.g. WA state), you should not expect to reach one reliably in backcountry. Hence - simplex communication.
2. Getting ham license is easier than you (probably) think. Here is one study to start with.
3. "Wilderness protocol". This seems to be a reiteration of the FCC frequency allocation for National simplex frequency (146.52). And not much more.
4. In order of priorities, my intended use is:
a. interaction within my group;
b. cross group interaction (e.g. you wanna warn another group of danger they may not see...)
c. interaction with emergency people (this is less important, because it is less reliable across realistic distances).
5. Some of the modern HTs (handheld transceivers) are capable of sending periodically (or on demand) their exact GPS location. Think - 'long' distance beacons.

-- Pavel

More
26 Feb 2015 20:28 #224023 by Sinorm
Replied by Sinorm on topic Re: Q: Ham radio in backcountry
I also carry a small ham radio in the backcountry, and have been able to hit a variety of repeaters. The stock antenna won't let you accomplish much, but there are a bunch of great options that make a huge difference. Personally I've loved this slim jim antenna I bought off ebay, super cheap and you can just hang it from any nearby tree or pole.

www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-ANTENNA-ROLL-UP...&hash=item2ede2c14af