Home > Forum > Going to Whitefish

Going to Whitefish

• Vento
  • [Vento]
More
27 Jan 2015 12:53 #223659 by Vento
Going to Whitefish was created by Vento
I'll be out there next week, anyone have any good info on some skin trips in the area?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Vento
  • [Vento]
More
28 Jan 2015 10:19 #223671 by Vento
Replied by Vento on topic Re: Going to Whitefish
Really, no one has been to Whitefish?

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
28 Jan 2015 11:30 - 28 Jan 2015 11:47 #223672 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Going to Whitefish
I've been to WhiteFish on a "family ski vacation". Never did any skinning.  There was plenty of lift-served terrain to keep me busy.

The resort covers "The Big Mountain" -- it is the highest bit of terrain in the immediate area.  Here is the resorts uphill policy: skiwhitefish.com/safety/uphill-policy/

I think touring in Glacier Park might be interesting -- but I would guess you'll need a snow-machine to travel snow-covered roads to make access reasonable.

• Vento
  • [Vento]
More
28 Jan 2015 11:50 #223673 by Vento
Thanks,

Was the resort fun? Busy? That sort of thing?

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
28 Jan 2015 13:15 #223674 by Randito
I enjoyed myself. Their snowpack is looking better than anything in WA -- too bad that Chair 8 is closed at the moment there is some fun terrain in "hellroaring basin" N.B.C can be a fun little slot off the main chair.

If I was going to drive that far from Seattle -- with skiing/snow being the *only* consideration -- I'd head to Revelstoke instead.

But if family connections are to be considered Whitefish is a fine place to ski.

• Vento
  • [Vento]
More
28 Jan 2015 14:00 #223676 by Vento
I wanted to go to Revelstoke but my two buddies are too lazy to get their passports.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
28 Jan 2015 14:32 #223677 by Randito

I wanted to go to Revelstoke but my two buddies are too lazy to get their passports.

I believe a Washington State Enhanced Drivers Licence www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/edlsteps.html may be used for travel to/from Canada

The paperwork requirement is similar, but it is significantly cheaper than a US Passport.

But it still takes about 3 weeks.

Of course if any of your buddies ever got busted for pot possesion, DUI or other (even minor) infractions at some point in the past -- Canada is going to refuse entry. www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applic.../5312ETOC.asp#5312E3 -- the pot possesion rule is pretty ironic -- considering one of BC's major argricultural products/exports...

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Feb 2015 15:08 #223704 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Going to Whitefish
Well I tried to post to this a week ago but was having session cookie problems. I was out in Whitefish two Januarys ago, before the new Flower Point chair went in. There really isn't much touring terrain accessible from the resort - Flower Point used to be popular with the sidecountry crowd because the T-Bar only ran on the weekends, so you could hike/skin from more or less the bottom of the T-Bar to where the top of the new chair is. Now I guess those folks will have been pushed into Canyon Creek, which is a very doable option when the stability is good. Basically just doing laps out there via Chair 7.

Aside from Canyon Cr., there are usually some good turns off the top of Hellroaring Peak down into Hellroaring Basin. However, there's no real need for skins as there's typically a bootpack set to the top from the cattrack. Lastly, there's some good sidecountry skier's left of Grey Wolf on the backside, just make sure you hit one of the the obvious exit paths (there are a few, the further down you go, the flatter they get). The entrance is basically where Grey Wolf begins to flatten out for the first time - it should be quite obvious from the existing tracks. Finally, a short stroll from the summit to the radio towers can yield some fun turns into Hellroaring Basin, as well as some fun bomb drops off the building next to the towers.

• Vento
  • [Vento]
More
04 Feb 2015 12:12 #223712 by Vento
Awesome, thanks for the info. I am leaving today!

More
05 Feb 2015 08:42 #223721 by kevino
Replied by kevino on topic Re: Going to Whitefish
I live here and can help when you get out here. Tip 1, bring gore tex for the next couple days.