Home > Trip Reports > January 25, 2015, - Mt. Hood Good

January 25, 2015, - Mt. Hood Good

1/25/15
OR Mt Hood
Posted by water on 1/26/15 4:03pm
Skied down from Hogsback around 12 on Sunday. T-shirt weather. Foot injury had me sidelined for most of 2014 and thus has been about a 18 months since I've skied it without chickenheads and ice. They're gone.. for now at least, and it made me very happy.

while there was plenty compared to lower, snow seemed quite low at the hogsback for this time of year. If it can't do well at 10,500.. this is very bad news. Hope it picks up.

Video:
http://youtu.be/1tUplDeaBfc
Congrats on getting back at it!  Probably felt really good to be back on skis after that long?  Yesterday was a lot of fun on slushy snow at Meadows, but it looks more like June up there with running water, rocks, and bare earth showing all over the place.  Disappointing to hear that it isn't better up high given the high freezing level storms that came through earlier.

Was there coverage all the way back to the parking lot? Wondering whether to bring the good skis or rock skis if we go up this Saturday.

DG: Thanks, yes it felt great. So good for my soul to have some buttery easy turns. I took up skiing about 3 years ago and having had to take a season off (rock climbing injury).. I was just starting to get a good flow when that happened. So the chickenhead ice skiing this fall was not exactly confidence inspiring or anything to work on form--and with the coverage lower paying for a lift day hasn't exactly been attractive.

dfhkvs: yes, full coverage though more hazards below... about 7k. Stick to the runs below the magic mile imo. Didn't scrape a single rock, skied to 5 foot from the parking lot. But certainly I've seen better, you need to be a little mindful.

author=dfhkvs link=topic=33498.msg138750#msg138750 date=1422469667]
Was there coverage all the way back to the parking lot? Wondering whether to bring the good skis or rock skis if we go up this Saturday.

Still plenty of good snow to skin/ski from annex lot as of today - almost 5k descent available via crater rock ish to lowest Tline terrain.
I was very glad to have 105 underfoot for spring conditions sat/sun - not so much the last couple of days. No real rocks to hit unless you like to trawl the edges -

Reply to this TR

january-25-2015-mt-hood-good
water
2015-01-27 00:03:54