telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 04:45 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  January 2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  January 25, 2015, Snoqualmie - Source Lake area
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: January 25, 2015, Snoqualmie - Source Lake area  (Read 2816 times)
Schwerkraft
5Member

January 25, 2015, Snoqualmie - Source Lake area
« on: 01/26/15, 12:01 AM »

I really could not get myself to join the pilgrimage to Paradise (or Baker). Given this yearís snowpack and the tear-drawing climate outlook, both destinations are going to be on my regular agenda soon enough. It has been a while since I was last at Snoqualmie and I was not sure what to expect. My regular partner in crime bailed on me last minute to head for Paradise predicting nasty bushwhacking for hours through uber-human high alder with nasty thorns while drowning in knee deep mud puddles. That did not help my visions of a fun day. Skinning up the Source Lake drainage was fine (see first picture). I took skis off twice to cross two creeks but other than that it was fast skinning on icy snow. Near Source Lake staying high gets you around all the creek drainages without much effort.

I started skinning at sunrise and my first objective ended up being the east facing slope to skierís left of Bryant couloir (third picture). Since conditions were really stable I tinkered around in the couloir and climbed to the water fall rock band. I thought for a moment about climbing up, but since I did not have a rope and reversing might be tricky I opted for the descent. This made for good timing on that east facing slope which had about 3-4in of soft corn on a solid base.

I skied this to Source Lake and then headed towards Snow Lake. I scoped out Snow Lake to see if one could even remotely think about crossing it. After that I was going to head towards the Chair Peak Circe, but got distracted by a nice run down the south face of the East ridge of Chair Peak (slope to the very right in second picture). It was steep enough that I had to boot the top section. I climbed a short steep pitch to the top of the ridge which gave me a good view on the eastern slopes off of Chair Peak and Snow Lake.

I was hoping I could ski the entry to the short couloir, but the top was very steep and out of the sun. Chances that I would slip off were non-trivial, so I booted down into the sunny section. From there it was a few fun jump turns and then hero corn down to the trail.

The trail out from Source Lake never softened up. Two short carries and I was at the car and headed back home feeling good that this didnít end up being the predicted disaster. Need more snow!

* GSSno-1.jpg (176.35 KB, 1000x547 - viewed 1347 times.)

* GSSno-2.jpg (178.27 KB, 1000x560 - viewed 1365 times.)

* GSSno-3.jpg (154.42 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 1358 times.)
« Last Edit: 01/26/15, 12:06 AM by Schwerkraft » Logged
Schwerkraft
5Member

Re: January 25, 2015, Snoqualmie - Source Lake area
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/15, 08:35 PM »

Got another requests for some more beta  pictures. Hope this helps:

* GSSno-14.jpg (155.42 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 825 times.)
Schwerkraft
5Member

Re: January 25, 2015, Snoqualmie - Source Lake area
« Reply #2 on: 01/26/15, 08:38 PM »

Source lake

* GSSno-133.jpg (189.06 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 822 times.)
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.