Home > Trip Reports > Rogers Pass Jan 11-15 - Ticking some classics

Rogers Pass Jan 11-15 - Ticking some classics

1/11/15
Canada BC
Posted by KW on 1/18/15 11:10pm
I lucked out with a good part of January off work. We will call it funemployed for now, soon to be employed with no chance for parole. We covered some decent ground during the week with  110km of distance and over 8000m of sking in 5 days.  Chasing 3 former world class bike racers around the mountain was hard work. When the talk is 600m/hr of ascent my eyes went in the back of my head. My to my surprise I was up the the task and only lagged behind a little bit. Who would have known.

It hadn't snowed for days and it was the week of Splitfest which meant a whole lot of traffic. North Facing zones were the prime targets and they still held snow.

This week we skied  Christiana trees, 7 Steps of Paradise, North bowl of cheops, Bruins bowl/8812, The dome/cleaver,  8812 bowl and Video peak.

The sun kept poking its head out just in the perfect times late afternoon to get great vis while descending. I have never got to ski so many classics in one week. It was made way easier with Doug Sproul's new guidebook and map.

One week down a little more relaxed pace on tap for week 2 with some sledding, resort skiing and a few days of touring. Hoping that the storm rolling in comes in cold and dry. If now at least give us a health does of snow.

Check out the full weeks adventures powder Gangsters : Rogers Pass Classics
Nice work! How was the stability when you were there?

author=dmarzilli link=topic=33440.msg138590#msg138590 date=1421779180]
Nice work! How was the stability when you were there?

Stability was good now it isn't so good. Lots of buried surface hoar and slabs.

Reply to this TR

rogers-pass-jan-11-15-ticking-some-classics
KW
2015-01-19 07:10:25