Home > Trip Reports > January 10, 2015, Rogers Pass, Quartz Creek

January 10, 2015, Rogers Pass, Quartz Creek

1/10/15
Canada BC
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 1/10/15 9:21am
Skied east of Rogers Pass. Snow is better east of the divide currently. Lots of whompfing almost everywhere we went. Remote triggered a size 1 (1.5ish) 40cmX40m slab at treeline on a convexity on a north aspect. Snowpack at the crown was 120-140cm with the Dec 17th ice crust down 1m. Light wind affect at treeline in exposed locations with excellent snow down to the car at 1000m.

All parking lots in Rogers Pass were crammed to overflowing on the way home.
Thanks for the report, even though you have more snow than here in the NW it sure does not make me want to drive nine hours to enjoy it!

The pass is a big place and has a spatially variable snowpack. The west side of the divide is quite a bit more stable then the east. The drive could still be worth it if the snow holds off for another week.

Looks like there will be some good alpine skiing till thursday around the pass. Pic is from the Sapphire Col-Lilly traverse today. Windboard above around 2400m on Sapphire col and the lilly. Smooth pow below that. The west aspect off sapphire col skied really well surprisingly.

So that was at Quartz Creek (your slab pics)? ... We were up there for 6 days and just got back... The inversion worked well for us - rode a lot of trees and pillow lines...

I rode Quartz 11 months ago via a rented sled... We never made it over that way because of reports that it wasn't as good as the Revy side. I'm a big fan of Kicking Horse and this was the only time out of 5 trips that I didn't ride on the Golden side

Yesterday was one of the best runs I've ever taken. I was so happy with it that I turned down an offer to stay and ride for 3 more days ...

Then again yesterday was my 11th day out as I was down in SLC since the 30th up until the day we drove up there... I think tomorrow I will ride my Mtn Bike

Reply to this TR

january-10-2015-rogers-pass-quartz-creek
Skier of the Hood
2015-01-10 17:21:31