Home > Trip Reports > January 8, 2015, Mt. Stuart Environs

January 8, 2015, Mt. Stuart Environs

1/8/15
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jwplotz on 1/9/15 6:31am
I could have gone climbing in the sun at Index.  But instead, Scott McAllister and I chose to take one of the most ill-timed tour I've ever done.  I thought that with 11,000' freezing levels we'd be slathering sunscreen and skiing corn snow.  Whatever.  Not even close.  In fact, quite the opposite.  You know you're in trouble when the best skiing is a rutted out frozen road.

The day started out terribly when I met Scott at 8 Mile Road and he didn't have his afore-promised sled.  One of these days I'm going to write a TR just on 8 Mile Road, so everyone has the beta, and can share in the special experience that this stretch of road gifts to the non-motorized backcountry enthusiast.

The short version...we skied up mountaineer's creek in the thinnest of snowpacks.  Logs not covered.  Many bare sections of trail, snow rock hard.  Half the tour was on foot as we crossed over from Mounties Basin to the Stuart Glacier side, then down to Stuart lake.  Nothing skiable as we down skinned out.  The best skiing was on the frozen 8 Mile rd. 

At least Scott's company is always good.

Long version of my TR.  There is no long version.

If you try to tell me, "The worst day skiing is still better than the best day of..." I will ask you to do this tour tomorrow and tell me afterwards if that is still how you feel.

My advice.  Check the Index weather forecast beforehand.

I love your trips, John. And I love your Trip Reports.  You do it, so I don't have to.  :)

author=mikerolfs link=topic=33369.msg138333#msg138333 date=1420843284]
You do it, so I don't have to.  :)

Interesting.  That's exactly what I say about your summer trip reports Mike.  ;)

author=mikerolfs link=topic=33369.msg138333#msg138333 date=1420843284]
I love your trips, John. And I love your Trip Reports.  You do it, so I don't have to.  :)

Thanks Mike!  Maybe a couple more feet of snow and the mountaineer's creek approach will be trivial.  As it was, it's even worse than summer schwacking.  Much worse. 

Wait a week and then go check it out and report back to us!

Interesting choice. I wonder what the south side of the mountain would ski like? Maybe the corn and sunscreen you were after.

I love TRs like this, they remind me of all the crazy ideas and silly tours I have taken..........and all of those trips with, some if not a lot, of hindsight are all really funny.

The best skiing out there is always on 8 mile rd.

author=Pete_H link=topic=33369.msg138356#msg138356 date=1420912716]
Interesting choice. I wonder what the south side of the mountain would ski like? Maybe the corn and sunscreen you were after.

Our original intent was a north side approach to a south side descent.  But a late start combined with a nearly impassable Mtnrs. Creek, dispelled with that notion.  By the time we got to the basin below Stuart, and saw the state of the Sherpa, we were at peace with our bail out plan B of just traversing over to Stuart Lake and out.

author=lrudholm link=topic=33369.msg138363#msg138363 date=1420920682]
The best skiing out there is always on 8 mile rd.

Absolutely!  Worthy of a few laps.

John, all I can say is he he he, what were you thinking?

author=Pete_H link=topic=33369.msg138356#msg138356 date=1420912716]

Guaranteed corn.  South side roolz!

author=Good2Go link=topic=33369.msg138375#msg138375 date=1420935023]
Guaranteed corn.  South side roolz!

Next inversion I'm calling you Aaron!

Reply to this TR

january-8-2015-mt-stuart-environs
jwplotz
2015-01-09 14:31:49