Home > Forum > marker

marker

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
09 Jan 2015 11:57 #223504 by slacker
marker was created by slacker
Great site. Especially it seems for the PNW. I was looking to post a BC trip for Revelstroke or Rogers Pass but alas, conditions just didn't work out.  The trans Canada was closed at three Valley gap for almost 36 hours and during that time A pocket of warm air got trapped above 4000 feet and it rained all the way to 7000 ft turning the snow to (insert your favorite noun).

While I was waiting for the highway to open I decided to take a little hike up Eagle Pass.  At about 700 m I traversed through a 1 inch rain crust sitting on a 3 inch Soft slab sitting on top of 14" of Soft storm snow. This combination of snow is, I have decided, kryptonite for the marker FT 12.

The snowpack was cracking and whumping and it was generally pretty sketchy. My decision to call it a day was made even easier by the fact that within 40 steps of entering those conditions I snapped one and then the other binding. It's just crazy.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this?  I've toured in wet rsnow before but I am a little speechless about this one. It was a strong sign to get out of the backcountry.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise I will likely buy another pair of markers although, it would almost be preferable to have tech bindings. At least tech bindings have a safety override system that plugs all the holes with ice thus preventing you from even being able to put your ski on in the first place. You can just forget the whole thing and go for a beer. That's tongue and cheek of course.

I'm hoping that the many minds that are better than mine will be able to give me clear direction for my next binding purchase. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I attached a photo but I'm not sure at this point if it will post because it might be too big of a file. Suffice to say that ice built up under the toe at the front pivot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2015 12:03 #223505 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: marker
I've been touring with Dynafit toes for a few years now in most of the conditions that Mt Baker can throw at me and have been lucky enough to not have any serious issues. I can't say much about how they ski since I'm only using them on the climb (splitboarding) but I wouldn't shy away from them for their reputation of being fiddly. I also carry a whippet and expect that if I had a serious issue with snow in the sockets I could clear it out with that first and let the binding take care of the rest.

More
09 Jan 2015 12:30 #223506 by Pete_H
Replied by Pete_H on topic Re: marker
If you are consistently having trouble getting your boots into your dynafits, I would say it's user error.

More
09 Jan 2015 16:23 #223509 by Bronco
Replied by Bronco on topic Re: marker
I'd be interested in seeing your photo if you can figure out how to post it. Where did the binding break? How old were the F-12s?

I have a pair of Marker Barrons that have been skinned on a few times with no issues. I also have a dedicated BC rig with Dynafits for touring that are absolutely preferred for actual touring.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
09 Jan 2015 21:29 #223516 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: marker
Not a big fan of the F12's - they share design similarities with Marker's Squire DH binding - and these are really geared for very light weight skiers and won't even handle an aggressive light weight skier very well. The center tower on the heel is not burly enough IMO and can be very flexy regardless of the DIN and fwd pressure, even if they don't break, they seem to prerelease easily. The Marker Duke's and Barons are much better, although heavier - good choice if you want to continue using AT bindings and not go Tech. Been skiing on Atomic Tracker / Salomon Gaurdian's this season and happy with them so far - a little easier than Marker's to get into when you're on an off camber somewhat precarious spot and no need to get your boot out of the binding to release the heel.

More
10 Jan 2015 07:31 #223518 by DonD
Replied by DonD on topic Re: marker
The first generation was prone to problems. These problems were addressed in year 2 resulting in a solid and reliable binding - in my experience... I use them on inbounds/out-of-bounds skis and have been very satisfied. Check out this TGR tread for lots of information:

www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.p...ur-F12-Major-Failure

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
10 Jan 2015 10:47 #223519 by slacker
Replied by slacker on topic Re: marker
The F-12's that I have are 4 years old and white. I have a pair of Baron's as well. Up until this point I have had minimal problems with either pair. Moist snow builds up on the bottom plate and rails under the heal and then compacts to ice forcing you to whip out your tool before you lock your binding down. That's a hassle. They are prone to squeeking as well which can be annoying after 25000 steps. And I think I agree with you Blizz they are kind of flexy. But overall I have been happy. They have been hassle free and they are relatively light.

But, maybe I am too big for the F12. I have the DIN at 11.5. I am 215 lbs with all my gear on and generally charging pretty hard in- bounds. Soft snow days only though. I prefer the slack country to long approach day trips so an AT binding has been a simple solution for me. Its less gear and that's a good thing.

The strange thing is the conditions which killed them. I am wondering if I walked into trip ending conditions for any binding. 1" freezing rain crust on a 3" wet soft slab on 14" of dry soft storm snow.

Anyways I'm not sure what to do. Send them to Marker as a sort of Organ Donation thing so they can R&D a little more? Tell them my story and get a replacement pair? Bury them with honor? Buy another pair? Go tech?

"Honey, this is the last pair of boots and bindings I need to buy now! After this I will be set." I can see and hear the reaction to that one. Again!

No picture is lame too. Just for fun I am going to get a camera and link a pic. Its quite a site.