Home > Forum > Alternatives to Dynafit bindings

Alternatives to Dynafit bindings

• radka
  • [radka]
More
02 Jan 2015 09:41 #223412 by radka
Alternatives to Dynafit bindings was created by radka
So my Dynafit Radical ST binding broke yesterday for the 257th time. I have had this binding since 2011. I think it broke 2-3 times the first year and then pretty regularly every year. The current binding was last replaced less than a year ago after the heel piece broke in Canada (TR www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=30456.0 .

I think I am done with Dynafails. What other options are there and do people have experience with those? I do not like Dynafit Verticals due to the heel lifter needing to be twisted to adjust. The bindings must be releasable easily (tore my ACL due to Fritschi not releasing in 2011).

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
03 Jan 2015 20:47 - 03 Jan 2015 20:52 #223428 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
G3 Onyx/Ruby.
Tech style
Non rotating heal lifter
Low DIN range

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Jan 2015 22:54 #223430 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
Dynafit Speed Superlight. Heel doesn't rotate. I busted my Dynafit Radical STs heelpiece after 10 days. My SSL have 50 days on them with no issues.

Only negative I've found on the SSL is the length isn't adjustable, so works with just one pair of boots and you have to be very precise when mounting the heelpiece.

The Plum Guide Looks promissing: skimo.co/plum-guide-bindings but I haven't skiied them.

More
04 Jan 2015 13:13 #223440 by Jonn-E
Replied by Jonn-E on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
The later (red) G3's Onyx are actually quite good and durable., but no one pays them any attention because the earlier ones (gray) had some defects. They are quite heavy for what they are though. My G3 Onyx have held up far better than my Dynafit Speed Radicals, but the Dynafits have also seen siginificantly more use.

A lot of great options have very recently come to market though. Check out the G3 Ions, the Fristchi Vipecs, and the Marker Kingpins. If you worried about your ACL, the Kingpins have achieved DIN ISO certification, exhibit great "alpine binding" elasticity, and have a UHMW ("teflon") coated Anti-Friction Device for smooth release. Heck as of very recently they are even at the Seattle REI.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
06 Jan 2015 14:54 #223460 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
I rented the Diamir Vipec from Pro Guiding Services and I loved it. I just skied them for one day on Crystal and East Peak and I don't have any experience with Dynafits (I have been skiing telemark), but the Vipec worked flawlessly and I found it very easy to operate and I love the fact that one can switch between ski and tour and vice versa without the need to take the skis off. I am going to buy them as soon as I can. Based on Diamir's other bindings I hope the Vipec will be as durable or better than the rest of pin tech models.

• radka
  • [radka]
More
07 Jan 2015 16:20 #223474 by radka
Replied by radka on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
Thanks all for your suggestions! I am interested in the Ions, Vipecs and especially the King Pin, given its releasability.

Turns out my binding did not break this time, it merely disassembled itself. We were lucky tracking Eric from Marmot down who fixed my binding in no time.

I will be curious how these bindings mentioned above perform after they have been tested for a while.

AND - there is some bug on TAY that prevents me from posting and I get a message "your session timed out" even if I logged in just two minutes ago. So let's see if this goes through...

More
08 Jan 2015 09:01 #223482 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
Last night in class Joe said he got to get a hands on look at the King Pins and was really impressed. His wife has them mounted on her skis so there should be some quick local feedback for you.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
09 Jan 2015 12:48 #223507 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings

Dynafit Speed Superlight.   Heel doesn't rotate.  I busted my Dynafit Radical STs heelpiece after 10 days.  My SSL have 50 days on them with no issues.

Only negative I've found on the SSL is the length isn't adjustable, so works with just one pair of boots and you have to be very precise when mounting the heelpiece.
[...]

The length is adjustable if you get the plates:
skimo.co/dynafit-binding-adjustment-plates
... toe, heel, or even both.
Also, the elusive Dynafit Speed C-One:
www.snowinn.com/ski-store/dynafit-speed-...e-c-one-red/612547/p
... combines the Speed Radical toe with an SSL heel on an integrated 25mm adjustment track -- Skimo Co might know where you can get a pair.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
09 Jan 2015 14:23 #223508 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings

Turns out my binding did not break this time, it merely disassembled itself. We were lucky tracking Eric from Marmot down who fixed my binding in no time.

Did the heel disassemble? I've been told to periodically tighten (but not overtighten, because they will strip) the top screws that hold the heel together from time to time. I have noticed they loosen up after ~10 days of skiing. So far I have no failures on my Speed Radicals (~40 days of mostly spring/volcano tours) and Radical FT's (~30 days of mostly powder touring). The only issue has been unwanted heel rotation when using the risers on the speeds, but that was fixed with the anti-rotation add-on that recently came out.

I know some folks like to go with a radical toe and old-style vertical heel.

• zeroforhire
  • [zeroforhire]
More
12 Jan 2015 12:55 #223536 by zeroforhire
Replied by zeroforhire on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
^ Some people go with the Plum Guide heels and the Radical Toes. I think this offers the best of both worlds personally.

I just picked up a set of g3 Ions... they look promising

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Jan 2015 20:03 #223543 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
FWIW: ICMF rules require the toepiece and heelpiece to be from the same manufacturer. The rational has something to do with liability. If you don't enter any skimo races probably not BFD, unless you want reliable release settings.

• Bird Dog
  • [Bird Dog]
More
14 Jan 2015 20:48 #223565 by Bird Dog
Replied by Bird Dog on topic Re: Alternatives to Dynafit bindings
I bought a pair of G3 Onyx (red) binding last year. I like them. Skied both resort and backcountry with them. Only released twice, both times were needed. I bought extra mounting plates so I can swap from winter to spring skis, takes about 15 min.