Home > Trip Reports > December 30, 2014, Heather Ridge

December 30, 2014, Heather Ridge

12/30/14
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by telemack on 12/31/14 2:34am
6 degrees in the parking lot at 10 AM  A quick skin to the lake got us some reasonable leftover turns cutting the switchbacks.  "Bluebird" it was.  There isn't too much left until more snow comes, but it was a treat to be in the sun with light fresh snow when the lift area was obviously freezing cold with pounded-down hardpan.

Happy New Turns All Year!
Nice work in the cold!  Were you alone?

I should have contacted you... I went with ed into the crystal BC and we enjoyed the cold air and snow very much.  First time touring in WA with two synthetic puffy layers, a helmet, and heavy gloves... ***while touring***   ;D

I love the cold

Did you head over to the North side of the ridge to the basin below Tye?  Wondering what the coverage looks like on that side. 

csd, We didn't but another pair did go that way.  They hoped the north side above Skyline Lake would have more wind-deposted snow.  We would have tried that side if time.  Some tracks headed that way.
I'd say the coverage is far too low to descend and exit via the PCT or Yodeiln without
brush-hell  :(

I was up there with a friend last Sunday lapping the north side of Heather Ridge. It needs a few more feet to really ski well, but it wasn't too bad. Lots of little trees to dodge that made for slow going, especially in the upper 1/3 of the face. There are some big boulders that'll take a good bit more snow to cover up, but our bases didn't get scratched up by any small rocks or logs.

Reply to this TR

december-30-2014-heather-ridge
telemack
2014-12-31 10:34:22