Home > Forum > Recommendations for Moderate Tour in Central OR?

Recommendations for Moderate Tour in Central OR?

• OlympicMtnBoy
  • [OlympicMtnBoy]
More
31 Dec 2014 09:33 #223397 by OlympicMtnBoy
I thought I would draw on the collective knowledge since most of my ski experience is in WA, aside from skiing Hood and Jefferson in Oregon I don't know the area well in winter.

I'm heading down from Seattle tomorrow with my fiancee to be at Mt. Bachelor by Saturday for a dog sled ride (her x-mas gift). I was thinking of a good backcountry tour somewhere down that way for Friday but I'm not sure where the good snow will be at. I got the Backcountry Skiing OR guidebook from the library here but any personal recommendations for the current snow pack?

I love getting to high peaks and skiing down but she is a more moderate backcountry skier so maybe something with some nice mellow (but not flat) hippie pow and good views? A summit is nice but not required. We'll have a full day since I'm bringing my camper down and we may just sleep in the sno park lot.

Cheers everyone and thanks!
- OlympicMtnBoy (long time lurker)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Dec 2014 10:48 #223401 by telemack
You can't go wrong with Tumalo Mountain. 1500' vertical from the Sno-Park across from Bachelor, to a mini-summit (It's a real volcano---check Wikipedia :) ) and good E bowl. My wife and I did it several years ago and she enjoyed it greatly. Perfect tour for the occasional skinner. You should find plenty of others for company.
I believe snowmobiles have access to the E side but they are not allowed onto Tumalo itself????

The Cinder Cone offers a micro-tour right out of one of the Bachelor lots. Sorry I don't know the lot name; I've only been there a few times.

enjoy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.