Home > Trip Reports > Dec 28, 2014, Baker environs (and Dec 30 added)

Dec 28, 2014, Baker environs (and Dec 30 added)

12/28/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by radka on 12/29/14 9:48am
Chris and I spent Dec 25 and 26 at Baker in poor visibility. We tried dropping down to Swift Creek, but coverage was not sufficient to navigate along the creek so we gave up on that idea. We struggled with poor visibility the next day also.

Yesterday, I returned to Baker with friends and conditions have improved greatly after Saturday's storm. A couple more of those and things will be in good shape. Some boulders still sticking out and creek still has running water.

We played on the slopes above Iceberg Lake in nice snow. We saw evidence of recent sluffs, but didn't observe any happening during the day.

A few pictures from yesterday:

Brand new canvass:

clouds play:

Skintrack:

Skintrack 2:

Returned to Baker yesterday to join my friends Kenji and David for another tour, this time towards Coleman Pinnacle. It looked like a ski-bumhood congregation out there as we ran into a bunch of people we knew, but surprisingly, there was still lots of untracked snow to ski. Apparently, it was windy on Monday so some areas were wind-affected and crusty, however, nice snow was still to be had. It was cooooold!!!

Skinning to the Moon:

Baker wore a feather hat:

While Shuksan wore pink:

Nice to meet you and the others up there! Skiing continued to be nice today, but was more sun-affected.

Reply to this TR

dec-28-2014-baker-environs-and-dec-30-added
radka
2014-12-29 17:48:54