Home > Trip Reports > December 28, 2014, Alpental

December 28, 2014, Alpental

12/28/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by snakeman on 12/28/14 10:01am
Great day for a tour WITH GOOD VISABILITY.  Took the usual route up 1 and then airplane to Upper Rollin. Nice skin route track. The pro's were riding up 2 and checking out the amazing conditions. The touring groups was out in force. Skied down Upper and Lower I. Well tracked but was able to find many untracked areas. The snow was amazing two feet of corn. Have not had it this good in many years. Powder is good but corn is special. Took the traditional ale picture very tastie. If I could get out tomorrow I would. Expect the BC would be exception. Pro's indicated another major dump and Alpental will be open. Bring it on. Good coverage from 2 up. GO HAWKS!!!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90415057@N06/sets/72157649923496266/

We did a lap down Edelweiss bowl.  It was the best run of the day.  Boot deep pow and bluebird conditions! 

One of are party scraped off a windblown 30' wide slope, very shallow (4") new wind blown snow all slid and resulted in a lot of dry sluff.  Wouldn't want to get caught in that, it ran down the bowl. 

Back up to the top and down international.  Good, but the cliffs were a lot bigger than normal early season!  It's so weird to be skiing alpy with only a 20" base.  I got cliffed out in the trees above lower international in a a place that I"m used to just skiing through.  Wasn't planning on hitting that, but the landing is soft, you can go big :)

Better than my day at Alpental on Saturday ... heavy wet and warm, yuck

Got two laps in on the International side starting around 5400' and down to 4200', one of them before the crowds descended from Edelweiss. Still plenty of untouched short lines to play around on this week while it stays cold. Also Red Mtn looks to be skiable from the summit and ripe for the taking!

Has anyone headed out in the BC to Piss Pass. If so how is it holding up?

author=swartzie link=topic=33177.msg137884#msg137884 date=1419878327]
Better than my day at Alpental on Saturday ... heavy wet and warm, yuck

Sounds about right.

Reply to this TR

december-28-2014-alpental
snakeman
2014-12-28 18:01:54