Home > Trip Reports > December 26, 2014, Stevens

December 26, 2014, Stevens

12/26/14
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Randito on 12/26/14 4:29pm
Backside (Aquarius) had variable powder over a firm base.  Some icy patches near the top, less wind effected and softer lower down.  Some open creeks that still need dodging. Aquarius face still has rocks and brush sticking up -- but top half of Orion was well covered.  Looked down double diamond and took a pass -- too much brush still sticking out.  Pacific Crest skiied well down to the crowded groomed runs (Hogsback chair running today)
Nice to see you on the hill Randy. I was trying out some new skimo gear and can verify that upper Orion skied surprisingly well even on toothpicks. Would have headed up again, but today I'm cheering on my son's wrestling team.

Did either of you see any surface hoar while you were up there?

My group didn't do a detailed snow study.   

The light was flat -- so it was hard to tell what was powder and what was the sparkly evil thing on the surface.

There was certainly sections of ice crust on the surface near the ridge, forming an ideal sliding surface for new snow and right on the steepest sections too.

Lowell, enjoy those wrestling matches while you can, my sons did water polo/swim team in HS and college and I watched them play/race on many powder days.  Now the house quiet and they are living their own lives, which I only get to peek at from time to time.

Short video from Friday at Stevens Pass. Glad we went!

I didn't notice any surface hoar frost. The (probably rain) crust was scoured in some places, built up with wind slab in others, but mostly it was below 4-8" of powder.

Backside was "hard closed" today - no access into Mill Valley while the resort ran the cats around and assessed the conditions.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it lift-served as early as tomorrow - they'll keep it hush-hush though, as the coverage likely won't hold up to a holiday crowd.

EDIT: Report for tomorrow indicates Jupiter Express will be turning. As well as 7th Heaven.

We had no problem accessing Mill Valley today after skinning up Double Diamond.  Good skiing back there, soft powder all the way down.  Coverage is a little spotty for lift operations (some still open creeks and brush) but plenty adequate for touring.  Nice to see winter finally arrive!!!

Reply to this TR

december-26-2014-stevens
Randito
2014-12-27 00:29:59