Home > Trip Reports > December, 26, 2014, Whistler Singing Pass

December, 26, 2014, Whistler Singing Pass

12/26/14
Canada BC
Posted by avajane on 12/26/14 12:08pm
Spent all day playing in the wonderful musical bumps side country. I was by myself, so I stayed low angle, but there wasn't a sluff to be seen. Avy danger was rated Moderate. Cold temps had tightened everything up a bit. Once back in bounds I hit a short really steep  (50 degrees plus) bit of fresh on my way back and even that stayed intact. More snow tonight and tomorrow should refresh and make Sunday fresh again.
Very nice.  You were busy!

How long does it take to skin up there?

Depends how old you are! :)

Takes me about 20 minutes skinning up Flute. From there it's a few minutes of pushing till you get to the decision point of skiing Flute or Lesser Flute or heading into the back country. If you head over, it's a few minutes to ski down and then an half hour or so to skin up to Oboe. Then about the same to Cowboy Ridge - but I'm doing that for the first time tomorrow. (Trail ran there before)

All in all, I'd predict that from Whistler Creek to Cowboy Ridge then all the way back to Seppo's will take exactly till last call at 3:00pm.

The ski out down to the valley is not in yet this year.

Ha-  I can put the hurt on people younger than me, and know some older folks that can leave me behind on the uphill.  So guess it's how fit you are 8)

So is the area accessed from a lift, or do you skin up from the village? 

I access from the lift! It's a very long trip up from the Valley. You'd have to be very dedicated. Icy, low angle trail in the trees for miles and miles and miles. I put in a new report today called Cowboy Ridge. We started from the Harmony chair when it opened at 9:15am. We traversed all the way over and under Symphony Chair as it wasn't open yet. From there we skinned up the "Inbounds Backcountry" of Flute. At the top of Flute we dipped into the backcountry and didn't return until the lifts were closed. So it was an all day trip for us. We didn't rush but didn't waste a lot of time either. We were a mixed aged crew, well acclimatized so we were probably moving at an average rate of speed.

Reply to this TR

december-26-2014-whistler-singing-pass
avajane
2014-12-26 20:08:20