Home > Forum > Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek

Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek

• blackdog102395
  • [blackdog102395]
More
21 Dec 2014 13:13 #223286 by blackdog102395
Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek was created by blackdog102395
Recently bought a Subaru Crosstrek XV. Having trouble sorting out the truth when it comes to chains/cables. What can other Subaru owners tell me? Also, can they turn you away from Paradise for not carrying traction devices when driving a Subaru? My owners manual does say not to use chains.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Dec 2014 13:41 #223287 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
A perennial question.  Yes they can turn you away.  No you are not supposed to use chains on a Sub because (1) the wheel wells aren't big enough; (2) the AWD won't work correctly with just one pair of chains--you are not even supposed to mix tire types; (3) the smart AWD computer can be damaged by use of chains.

So what to do:

(1) pointlessly argue with the LEO (I've done that many times, but only suceeded once;
(2) buy 2 pairs of the Z-chains (close-fitting) and if chains are required put them on all 4 wheels, turn the smart AWD off (I can do that in my Outback), and drive slowly; note no damage to wheel wells, computer, or transmission will be warranteed; (3) carry 1 pair of chains to meet the requirement to have chains in the car and don't go up if chains are required; with this option I would also recommend highly rated winter tires--I use Toyo Observes (usually rank in the top 10; have particles in the rubber to help with traction and a tread design optimized for wet, icy, and snow-covered pavement); I bought my wife Michelin X-ice2 for her Volvo; the Hakkepellita snow tires with studs rank no. 1, but are more trouble to get.

More
21 Dec 2014 14:01 - 21 Dec 2014 14:04 #223288 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
I don't know about the Crosstrek, but I've had 1990 Legacy and a 1999 Outback and always carried cheapo cable chains for the front wheels.  Only used them twice....once in Oregon when State Patrol was requiring chains on everything during a blizzard and once after getting stuck on an unplowed Alpental Rd.  

My 2015 Outback owners manual says 'no chains' due to lack of clearance between the tires and car body, but then it goes on to say on the very next page that 'spring chains' can be used but only on the front wheels.  As far as I've been able to tell 'spring chains' are just another name for cable chains.  It also says that damage from chain use isn't covered by the warranty (same as what Andrew mentioned above).

Are you sure that the Crosstrek manual makes no mention of spring chains on the front wheels being okay?

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Dec 2014 14:15 #223289 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
It's very rare for chains to be required on ALL vehicles; these days I think they would just remain closed. In the past, they have most often been required for all to descend if there was some catastrophic storm after opening. Even on those rare days, I noticed there were many NPS vehicles that were not chained up.   During the past couple winters, the park staff would sometimes ask to see chains at Longmire, even for AWD vehicles, but didn't seem to care whether they even fit or functioned.  I know locals who call these (and Andy's 3 above) 'prop' chains.   ::)

Good luck knowing where the chain requirement ends on the drive down on those frequent days when the chain-up location is moved during the day.  The old-time NPS just had a signed barricade: "End Chain Requirement" that was moved as necessary.  I guess now they're still waiting on the fancy programable chain signs facing both ways?

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Dec 2014 14:39 #223290 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
FWIW: On Saturday when the ranger opened the gate it was chains required on 2wd past the Nisqually bridge.   The ranger was making everyone show him their chains before letting them through the gate.   The owners manual for my AWD Honda also says "no chains"  but I just carry a pair of cable chains in the spare tire wheel well.   It was a pain to pull out and show to the ranger.    in 16 years of driving an AWD Honda I've never had to mount those cable chains.   Though I have had to use my snow shovel a couple of times to dig out.  Having good condition M+S or winter rated tires helps a lot.  

From my experience with 2WD cars and chains -- a few tips:

1) After mounting chains, creep forward very slowly for 50 feet or so, then stop and retighten the chains.
2) Don't go over 25mph with chains or -- or if you start to hear the chains slapping against the wheel well, slow down and maybe stop and retighten.
3) Chains increase starting traction a lot, but they don't improve stopping traction nearly as much.   Not being able to stop causes a lot more crashes than not being able to go.    

More
21 Dec 2014 22:03 #223299 by Jonn-E
Replied by Jonn-E on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
While I cannot verify nor should I be quoted I'd wager there's a 95% chance the "no chains" thing in your manual is just CYA BS. They don't want to do the warranty work when someone mounts grandpa's pickup plow truck link chains on their new Subi and tears the front wheel off.

I've mounted Z-chains on sporty cars that would make your Cross-Trek look like a Hummer (in terms of wheel clearances). Z-chains are very low clearance; look up Security Chain Company. Of course chains are always a PITA to use so your best chance at never using them (and just having "prop chains") is to have good winter tires. Tires matter more than how many wheels spin or brand of car (although Subies are top tier in those second two categories).

Chains are legally required in all West Coast States and National Parks, but only Cali and Rainier seem to ever care. I've had an LEO ranger tell me they've had to require chains on all vehicles when certain unique end-of-the-day icing conditions occur, generally below Nisqually Bridge actually.

• snojones
  • [snojones]
More
22 Dec 2014 11:54 #223305 by snojones
Replied by snojones on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
Have you got around to replacing one of those proprietary $350 ignition keys yet?  You will love that one almost as much as not being able to use your expensive snow car on snow days!

• kolockum
  • [kolockum]
More
22 Dec 2014 16:56 #223309 by kolockum
Replied by kolockum on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
I have seen chains used on new Subarus but only to help get unstuck. I would get a decent pair just in-case. Subarus are not as fragile and fussy as the lawyers say.

Nobody has mentioned them yet but I would highly recommend avoiding "cableless" or "Alternative" traction devices such as Spike-Spider, AutoSock and snobootz. These are meant for ice not cascade slush and I have seen many cars with these type of devices get stuck in 6" slush. Also saw the spike-spider destroy a set of tires in deep slush, the tires turned but the spike spider didn't and wore deep groves into the tread.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
23 Dec 2014 07:48 #223317 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Traction Devices for Subaru Crosstrek
I have used chains on my manual 2001 Forester about 20 times (for a total of about 200 miles) with no problems. I have a pair and it goes on the front wheels. The car has proper winter tires too. I have never had any problems, but it is possible back in 2001 the electronics were not that sensitive. The car manual recommends chains on all wheels with a disclaimer that if you have only one pair put them on the front wheel.