Home > Forum > December 20th, 2014, Whistler Champagne Powder

December 20th, 2014, Whistler Champagne Powder

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Dec 2014 18:32 #223282 by avajane
After a stormy and windy night we didn't expect a whole lot from Whistler's Alpine. Blackcomb's top lifts opened at the usual time, but Whistlers were delayed. Took 3 or 4 runs on Emerald and Red and found the snow to be light and dry. Finally went over to Harmony to wait for it to start. After waiting for 20 minutes at Harmony we got to the top around 11:30. A no visibility descent down Burnt Stew soon had us waiting for the signs to flip at Symphony. After a few minutes we decided to just hit the untracked "groomed under powder" lower part of Adagio. It was unbelievably light and dry snow! Near the bottom I cut under the line and put first tracks under the liftline to the bottom. When we got to the bottom the attendant signaled us to hope on the first chair - without anyone in sight. That was a first!

By about 2:00 that wet moist stuff started coming up from Washington and the snow quality deteriorated so we hit Seppo's and called it a good day.

The Alpine is filled in nicely. All lifts are open. Tree skiing is still not a real good idea. No lift lines even on Saturday for us the way things worked out. Wet snow all the way down to the valley. Big flakes at the hot tub.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2014 15:59 #223321 by tabski
So you're saying it was like this?

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 Dec 2014 17:23 #223323 by avajane
WOW! That is one impressive picture. I think I would have had to have hit a wind drift at high speed in the flat light for that to have happened. But then there wouldn't have been good light for the picture.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
24 Dec 2014 08:59 #223326 by skykilo
Glad to see that Whistler is getting it! Lone track under the lift line looks lovely.

Merry Christmas, Drew, you big powder Scrooge.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Dec 2014 18:49 #223336 by avajane
Yeah I love showing off under the lift line - especially when I'm the only one to see it until after I'm way gone. I probably could have crossed my own track that day! Merry Christmas to you. I hope the snow is treating you right as well.