Home > Trip Reports > Dec 10-17, 2014, Oregon and Cali search for snow

Dec 10-17, 2014, Oregon and Cali search for snow

12/10/14
OR elsewhere
Posted by Shred on 12/20/14 2:22am
With the in-pending doom of higher freezing levels here in Washington, Snoholic and I loaded up his Sprinter van and headed for higher prospects.
Our first stop was The Wallow Mountains. Coverage was good above 7k. With the big storm due to arrive by night fall with very high winds, and all the good skiing above tree line, We opted to point the van South and catch the harvest in the Sierras. We skied Tamarack Peak (near Mt. Rose) which had great coverage, but only received 5" of fresh. So, We migrated over to the Donner Pass area, with reports of 18"+ waiting for our ski bases  to devour. With the direction of a few Tahoe locals, We were standing on Castle Peak with some really cherry North facing terrain to play upon.
On our way back home, We pulled in to Bend and had a great stay & visit with some friends, who offered up a little sled access skiing near Broken top.
Winter is always somewhere. Sometimes you just have to go find it.
Here's some viddy of the conditions and terrain that We found along our journey;
California Portion: 
http://thesnowtroopers.com/2014/sierra-nevadas-ca-hitting-the-jackpot/
Oregon Portion.
http://thesnowtroopers.com/2014/cascades-range-or-road-tripping-for-powder/
Beauty of a video! Castle Rock was sorta a big part of my life way back when. Turns out my future wife and I both were on the summit separately in the 70's. The day after you guys were tearing it up, my daughter and her new husband went there for their first backcountry trip! Very small and beautiful world. Hope to see you again soon.

Brian

tetrahedral fun!

(they are indeed always six sided... and never exactly the same. Thanks to the intermolecular force of hydrogen bonding.)

Hooray for Hydrogen Bonding! Thanks for the link, Stefan! My knowledge for the secrets of the universe are ever expanding :)

"You can’t really understand hydrogen bonding, though, without understanding why water molecules are arranged like they are."

There was no point for me to read any further.

-Great videos Shred, it was a pleasure storm chasing with you.

Reply to this TR

dec-10-17-2014-oregon-and-cali-search-for-snow
Shred
2014-12-20 10:22:27