telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/22/17, 07:39 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  December 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  12/13/14 - PaRADise
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12/13/14 - PaRADise  (Read 26931 times)
pipedream

12/13/14 - PaRADise
« on: 12/13/14, 06:07 PM »

For putting a ski pole through the rear window of my car this morning, today turned out quite alright. A coworker and I headed south to put the rad in Paradise. With no real plan we followed the hoard up Pan Point and after hemming and hawing over dropping down to the Paradise Glacier side, we decided to stay the course and follow the established skintrack towards Muir. We made it up as far as the entrance to the Chute before deciding to pull the plug and head back down into the ominous clouds inching their way up the mountain's southern flanks. Snow started falling in earnest when we reached the bottom of Pan Point and thick, white flakes were falling heavily in the lot (the telemetry shows they've stopped now, bummer). After a quick trip to the gift store for some last-minute holiday shopping we made it back to Tacoma just in time for some quality bumper-to-bumper traffic on I-5 home to Seattle.

The weather was superb, without any real wind and clear skies the whole way up. The snow was stellar, too. That dry, sparkly stuff winter memories are made of. There was about 3-4" new at Paradise this morning which deepened to 6-8" above Pan Point. Speaking of which, still lacks a decent uptrack... lots of folks were booting the first 1/3-1/2 of the ascent and the snowshoers, as usual, were out destroying anything viable. Our descent took us through Pebble Creek, which had enough wind-created features to keep this sideways slider smiling all the way down to Pan Face. The face itself was touchy, but skiers right offered superb turns and no rocks. From there, it was meadow skipping and trail slipping all the way back to the car. Much better than my last trip up in late-Oct.

EDIT: Pics

Album
« Last Edit: 12/13/14, 08:56 PM by pipedream » Logged

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
avajane

Re: 12/13/14 - PaRADise
« Reply #1 on: 12/13/14, 07:00 PM »

I've been waiting to see the reports today. That sounded good. Glad you got some good snow.

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
Andrew Carey

« Reply #2 on: 12/13/14, 07:02 PM »

Yes, the snow was nice; I got there early enough to see one or two heading up Pan Face, then it got hilarious with people going every which way!  As they say, each to his/her own LOL

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
Norseman

« Reply #3 on: 12/13/14, 09:12 PM »

Hey man, would've been fun to cross paths. Let's get out some time!

Yours truly got the hole shot out the gate, setting the track up the climber's right shoulder of Pan Face, the route that Amar waxes poetic about all the time (I hate going up the middle of that damn thing, too). So funny how folks make a thousand different tracks all to the same place.

Our tour took us up the ridge b/w Muir and Paradise Gl, and down Muir through Pebble Cr to the Edith Cr benches, down to 4th crossing.

[/threadjack]
pipedream

« Reply #4 on: 12/13/14, 09:46 PM »

Strong work! We watched the pair of skiers lay the first tracks down in Edith Ck. while we were heading up the snowfield. Piqued our interest over there, but we ended-up having to save it for another day.
« Last Edit: 12/14/14, 09:29 AM by pipedream » Logged

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #5 on: 12/14/14, 10:39 AM »

Very fine day!  We opted for a ramble over the pursuit of turns, found a little solitude and some enjoyable low-angle skiing.

Travelled to just above 7k, on E-S-W aspects. Snow was better than expected, with 1-3" of fluff atop a mostly supportable and fast crust. A little less energy in the snowpack than we'd expected, but the lee sides of nascent cornices did show a little bit of sun-driven sluff activity. Surface hoar on most aspects kept things rainbow-sparkly in the Paradise drainage,  reaching ~1/4" in many places. Dropping back into Edith Creek in late afternoon, we found a zipper crust on steeper/sunnier aspects. An insistent snow squall kept things wintry at the parking lot.

Edit: Just got a PM asking about the Paradise. We didn't get on it, as early-season bridges can be very thin. It looked smooth and almost sag-free; exactly the sort of thing that can lead to this (scroll to final photo).

* SunPillarAndSnow.jpg (157.2 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 2029 times.)

* williwakasTurns.jpg (185.69 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 1965 times.)

* SusanHeadingHome.jpg (177.79 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 1966 times.)
« Last Edit: 12/14/14, 11:23 AM by Charlie Hagedorn » Logged

Norseman

« Reply #6 on: 12/14/14, 12:06 PM »

Beautiful.
danpeck

« Reply #7 on: 12/14/14, 04:35 PM »

Nice work on the photos to all.  Really like the high res detail from pipedream's 3rd and the first shot from Charlie.  Norseman's 2nd has a nice esthetic.  Looks like conditions were all they needed to be!  Might be time for me to stop looking for frozen waterfalls and turn my attention to the skis.

That crevasse collapse was spooky to see.  Makes me feel better about my stubbornness to rope up when on glaciers... esp. in the early season.  Even on skis that thing could have gone disastrous!

ziptiecloud
1Member

« Reply #8 on: 12/16/14, 08:38 PM »

Awesome writeup man- what a day.

A few solid ones from Sat.. http://youtu.be/xHRhX717frQ
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.