Home > Forum > Most extreme line ever, or media hype?

Most extreme line ever, or media hype?

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
11 Dec 2014 13:37 #223201 by Donnelly_M
Most extreme line ever, or media hype? was created by Donnelly_M
It seems Cody Townsend's line is making free skiing a mainstream sport. I have now seen his line strewed across several social media sites, ESPN, and he even has people from various network channels asking him for interviews on his Facebook page. What is it about his line that is potentially going to make him a household name. It seems like I have seen many more lines much more difficult even by some posters on TAY. Was it the speed? Is it the aesthetics of the line?

Impressive? Yes. More worthy of gaining mainstream media attention, fame, and money? Personally, I think the footage from the first video I will post a link to is far more impressive than the second link, Cody Townsend's line. For one, the skier in the first video is essentially skiing exposed terrain on icy conditions!

Now the the video for the most extreme line?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 Dec 2014 16:19 #223205 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
It's the controversy that a pair of snowboarders might have ridden in first that's piqued my interest:
www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.p...=4374208#post4374208

Well, that and the fact that the line is straight down through a col barely wider than his shoulders...

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
11 Dec 2014 16:41 #223207 by cumulus
Replied by cumulus on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
extreme, like almost any word, is a signifier. To pinpoint what exactly the signified is can be a bit subjective...

Not to mention "most extreme" which sounds more like a copy editor's idea of how to get more hits than any grounding in reality.

And since you mention mainstream, it seems to me that if a line veers towards powder and aesthetics it's going to have a lot more appeal than ice and rocks.

I mean what would you rather ski?

I'd go for that powdery tubed line over ice and rocks any day, extreme be damned.

• blackdog102395
  • [blackdog102395]
More
12 Dec 2014 07:45 - 12 Dec 2014 07:50 #223218 by blackdog102395
Replied by blackdog102395 on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
Call it whatever you like, but I think we can all agree: that line, at that speed, took balls of steel.

Edit: watched the OP's first video. Right there are some more steely balls. Wow!

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
12 Dec 2014 08:07 #223219 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
A combination of things...
First, it's content generation, planed by the athlete and sponsors with the hopeful intention of going viral. Then it's the way it was captured. It doesn't mater if it has been skied or ridden before (except perhaps to those who did it). It's impressive none the less...
Donnelly, we need to ski together again, it's been what, 10 years or something?

More
12 Dec 2014 09:51 #223221 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
media hype.
I was an extreme line caught on camera. Oh, and with a helicopter. Still insane.

There are more extreme lines skied without capturing it on a camera.

• philfort
  • [philfort]
More
12 Dec 2014 10:36 #223222 by philfort
Replied by philfort on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
It's an impressive piece of skiing that took incredible balls (and skill).

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Dec 2014 10:52 #223223 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?

A combination of things...
First, it's content generation, planed by the athlete and sponsors with the hopeful intention of going viral. Then it's the way it was captured. It doesn't mater if it has been skied or ridden before (except perhaps to those who did it). It's impressive none the less...
Donnelly, we need to ski together again, it's been what, 10 years or something?

he was right behind us one afternoon on the traverse last winter, then right on past.

• pMahoney
  • [pMahoney]
More
12 Dec 2014 12:05 #223227 by pMahoney
Replied by pMahoney on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
I mean to call Cody's line the most 'extreme' line in skiing is  a bit ambiguous. Maybe to a general public that isn't aware of the 'extremes' that can be involved in skiing, but come on guys. How about Bryce's line on the 80's chute/ Eat shit and die? Is this more or less extreme then Cody's?

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
12 Dec 2014 13:53 #223228 by Donnelly_M
Replied by Donnelly_M on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?

I mean to call Cody's line the most 'extreme' line in skiing is  a bit ambiguous. Maybe to a general public that isn't aware of the 'extremes' that can be involved in skiing, but come on guys. How about Bryce's line on the 80's chute/ Eat shit and die? Is this more or less extreme then Cody's?

Cody's line was extreme, and how he did it made it look even more so.  I'm  sure there are some skiers/riders who given the chance to ski the line would try and turn or side step as much as they could until they reached the narrowest spot and then just figure 11 the rest of it.  I think there's much more exposure and risk of severe injury or death on the 80s chute.  Even if someone decided to make a speed run out of the 80's chute, they'd be trees at the bottom to contend with; whereas, in Alaska it's mostly wide open run outs.  I did watch someone ski the 80's chute on rental equipment in 99, but it was no where near as smooth as the way Bryce did it.  Personally my vote for one of the most extreme lines ever ridden is the group that skied the variation of Thermogenesis, i think called Cyrogenesis, off of Liberty Ridge.

In reply to skiing Alpental.  I mostly do only ski touring as I have decided to use the money I would have spent on a pass to take ski lessons or attend a race camp.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
12 Dec 2014 13:59 #223229 by gravitymk

IDK it feels subjective to me.
I wouldn't compare the two, mostly because I know the terrain Bryce skied and respect what he did. The difference in my mind is that Cody's run was captured and published in a way that really captures the moment.

We've all seen footage of a big lines skied by competent skiers both on the little screen and big. There are also those here who have stood on top of a big line at one point in their lives or another and know what it is to be gripped on top of something that is steep and exposed with little margin for error (some more than others).

After a while we get a little jaded and used to seeing this stuff...
Then a piece of content like this comes along that pushes the edge a little further out (like this did for me personally). Is it extreme, IDK, did it get my attention? You bet.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
12 Dec 2014 14:02 #223216 by gravitymk

I mostly do only ski touring as I have decided to use the money I would have spent on a pass to take ski lessons or attend a race camp.

This made me laugh...

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Dec 2014 19:11 #223230 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?

Personally my vote for one of the most extreme lines ever ridden is the group that skied the variation of Thermogenesis, i think called Cyrogenesis, off of Liberty Ridge.

Yow - I'd missed that news. Intimidating place to be.

TR: county5.blogspot.com/2012/06/liberty-ridge.html
Video:

Lowell's compendium: www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/topos/mt-rainier.html

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Dec 2014 21:18 #223233 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
I think Cody's line is billed as "The Red Bull 2014 line of the year". As a marketing device for Red Bull it is excellent. I just hope that the numbers of young folks stoked by such visuals that get mamed as a result is few.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Dec 2014 23:04 - 13 Dec 2014 07:42 #223234 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
Certainly impressive.

One of the things that's easy to miss is the fact that he was able to scrub speed on the upper part of the descent by smearing on the skier's left side of the slot. During that time, he was going fast, but I think he was actually in pretty good ski-control.

It was only in the lower part of the slot that he was forced to run straight. Still, very impressive.

Viewed through old-school eyes, it really shows the benefit of fat, rockered skis. You can't smear like that in soft snow on narrow skis.

More
15 Dec 2014 17:21 #223244 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?

Certainly impressive.

One of the things that's easy to miss is the fact that he was able to scrub speed on the upper part of the descent by smearing on the skier's left side of the slot. During that time, he was going fast, but I think he was actually in pretty good ski-control.

It was only in the lower part of the slot that he was forced to run straight. Still, very impressive.

Viewed through old-school eyes, it really shows the benefit of fat, rockered skis. You can't smear like that in soft snow on narrow skis.

This is exactly what I thought, you are not pulling that shit off w/o fat rockered skis. What made it even more obvious was that I had just recently watched Steep and McConkey. No lands jumps back in the 80s and 90s due to skinny skis. They were just too twitchy.

Now surely it was a ballsy ski. Woohoo!

• pMahoney
  • [pMahoney]
More
16 Dec 2014 10:16 #223248 by pMahoney
Replied by pMahoney on topic Re: Most extreme line ever, or media hype?
Kinda of funny all the hype around Cody doing it when T. Rice did it before him, check out the interview between the two;

snowboarding.transworld.net/news/travis-...ode-line-year-first/