Home > Trip Reports > December 8, 2014, Whistler - staying high

December 8, 2014, Whistler - staying high

12/8/14
Canada BC
Posted by avajane on 12/8/14 3:22pm
Wet snow half way up the Red Chair made me decide to go to the Alpine and stay there. I had the pleasure of skiing with one of the better young locals, Tory Saaranen, and his lovely girlfriend Misha - a very talented multi sport athlete from the Czech Republic. I hit Harmony Hut bathroom and hung out in a complete whiteout until they arrived. We spend 15 minutes creeping our way down upper Burnt Stew until we could finally see the Symphony Life and get some visibility. My plan was to push over to Boundary Bowl and ski right next to the trees and see how it was and go from there. Difficult, but turnable, wind affected powder led us down into the basin below. Some more turns were had, and we decided to skin up towards the east shoulder of Lesser Flute. We had a great time in perfect snow on the upper part of the run, and then straightlined it to the bottom where the turns became possible again. Another short skin got us back up to the base of Harmony and a treacherous icy traverse back to a rainy Emerald Chair.

It was not a good day to ski at Whistler today...but we had a great time doing what we did - the way we did it. We got wet and tired, but skied some good snow, and put it on the video...Misha and Tory showing that there was good snow somewhere in the Pacific Northwest today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvFWdoIksIc

Reply to this TR

december-8-2014-whistler-staying-high
avajane
2014-12-08 23:22:36