Home > Trip Reports > December 6-7, 2014, Cathedral Pass

December 6-7, 2014, Cathedral Pass

12/6/14
Posted by kylesw on 12/8/14 12:49am
Okay so TAY isn't letting me post a lengthy TR. Summary: the road is driveable to within 3 mi of the TH with a capable 4wd. We camped on the ridge at 5600' just south of cathedral rock and skied some great lines up high.
Our original goal was to bag Mt. Daniel, but the slog was long and our packs were heavy, and the traverse below Cathedral rock was sketchy. So we made camp, drank wine, slept in and skied!

The skiing was short but sweet. We climbed to 5900' on the southern flank of Cathedral Rock, and found good quality pow for a few laps.

Intriguing!  Were you able to drive up there or did you go in via snomo?

Well, it finally happened - my post got swallowed by the forum software. I was trying to tell you I couldn't see those pictures because of what appears to be a permissions issue. But when I try to quote the error Google gives, this reply vanishes :)

EDIT: Figured it out. If I replace the slanted quotes Google uses in their error message, I can quote the error without issue :)

403. That's an error.

Your client does not have permission to get URL /HTG0BF-F2kmHx7qemkyJCQAYJndLyGEHCWxQ5PX6OIPLKzLUq7QDD_IFSA1SqxNHB34XhZFeXqE=w1413-h642 from this server. (Client IP address: 2001:4898:80e0:ee43::4)

Forbidden That's all we know.

Good2Go - We parked our Jeep at Scatter Creek specifically. Careful if you head up there, we got stuck in a bad way a little further down the road the weekend before!

Thanks for sharing.  I almost got stuck about a month ago up there.  The road was super muddy near the FS cabin past Scatter.  Ate a couple other victims, but my Tacoma rallied through.

FWIW - We ski up there on the opposite side of the valley (Skeeter Creek) very frequently during winter, using snomos for the approach.  3,000'+ of NW facing vertical.  Plenty for everybody.  Bring a TAY gang.

looks like fun! thanks for the road beta and nice photos

Looks stellar up there.
Yeajhh,,,, my post isn't blank this time.

Oh yes, we know the spot well!

Dam...that's impressive stuck.  Self recovery?

We got out thanks to the guys at Roslyn Towing. A winch would have been a wise investment...

My brain is refusing to accept that picture compared to memories of the well-traveled Summer road. How the hell does that gravel highway get that soft?!

Gotta be at least 20 miles from cell coverage up there.  How did you get the tow?  Walk all the way out? 

author=Jonn-E link=topic=32998.msg137393#msg137393 date=1418225546]
My brain is refusing to accept that picture compared to memories of the well-traveled Summer road. How the hell does that gravel highway get that soft?!

There's a set of ruts there that have been dug deep by many vehicles before us. A small creek keeps the soil fully saturated - so it's practically quicksand right there. Otherwise, the road is as you remember it.

Fortunately we had another vehicle following us, so getting out to town wasn't an issue. It certainly would have been a long road skin otherwise!

Reply to this TR

december-6-7-2014-cathedral-pass
kylesw
2014-12-08 08:49:02