telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/25/17, 01:35 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  December 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  December 7, 2014, Paradise Environs
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 7, 2014, Paradise Environs  (Read 78148 times)
ron j

Re: December 7, 2014, Paradise Environs
« Reply #25 on: 12/12/14, 09:11 AM »

Some time ago (maybe 2 years?) they were fairly good about getting the twitter feed and the recording updated with estimated gate opening info by around 7:00 AM, especially on the weekends. Unfortunately that didn't last. A tweet at 11:00 or noon saying that "the gate will not open today because of ...." does one little good and is more likely to just irritate the reader.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
DenisSeattle
5Member

« Reply #26 on: 12/12/14, 10:56 AM »

Good point drescj. Better communication with the public about expected opening times would make a big difference. Twitter is ok, although once I'm in the Park I no longer get internet.

I think the snow crew is back to full staffing, and those guys who have been there for years really know the intricacies of clearing the 17 mile road from Nisqually Entrance to the JVC lot. It's much more than removing snow from the asphalt. Being swept off Glacier Hill by a slide would certainly be fatal, even in a plow. Visitors do the craziest things, like driving up with bald tires, and stopping on blind curves to feed foxes and take selfies. They frequently dig bumpers into snow banks even when it's not very slick. And if the road's not safe for an ambulance, it's not safe to open it.

I find it amazing they still keep this road open in winter, but I'm glad they do it when they can. See you up there!

Norseman

« Reply #27 on: 12/12/14, 11:15 AM »

I find it amazing they still keep this road open in winter, but I'm glad they do it when they can.

This irks me (more than it probably should... nothing personal, man). Perfect statement to reinforce the Park's BS policies of late.
flowing alpy

« Reply #28 on: 12/12/14, 11:22 AM »

that the road is too difficult to clear is horse crap imo, also, un-prepared tourons doing stupid things is also another poor excuse. the guvy is good at profiling, profile the tarts at the gate if bald tires are the issue, got dam.
ron j

« Reply #29 on: 12/12/14, 11:40 AM »

I wasn't around then, but the old timers have told me that in the times of the model A the roads were plowed continuously during storms and the road to Paradise was seldom if ever closed.
« Last Edit: 12/12/14, 11:46 AM by ron j » Logged

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
vogtski

« Reply #30 on: 12/12/14, 12:33 PM »

I think the snow crew is back to full staffing, and those guys who have been there for years really know the intricacies of clearing the 17 mile road from Nisqually Entrance to the JVC lot. It's much more than removing snow from the asphalt. Being swept off Glacier Hill by a slide would certainly be fatal, even in a plow.

Actually, when I was a (the?) winter volunteer, a plow was knocked off the middle of Glacier Hill by a slide in the mid 70's.  It stopped upright in the debris just over the shoulder.  The driver was shaken but uninjured and the plow was retrieved the next day.  Glacier Hill is normally a windward slope; most of the slides there are due to solar radiation in the afternoon. On all but a few days a year, one has a much higher chance of being hit by an impaired driver between Pugetopolis and Nisqually Entrance than by a slide on the Paradise Road.

I agree the road crew know their stuff; They are not the reason for the closures, delays, and poor communication. The park could buy five new plows and it would not improve the situation much as long as management is more concerned about their bonuses and promotions than reliable access for the folks that pay for it all.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
solwara
5Member

« Reply #31 on: 12/12/14, 06:40 PM »

Wow, looks like I put my foot in it!
kamtron

« Reply #32 on: 12/13/14, 07:05 AM »

Looks like the park may be changing things, today they posted a tweet by 7 am!
https://twitter.com/MountRainierNPS/status/543781350604427264
Andrew Carey

« Reply #33 on: 12/13/14, 07:42 AM »

Wow, looks like I put my foot in it!

thanks for the trip report; sorry the thread got hijacked so badly ;-)

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
DenisSeattle
5Member

« Reply #34 on: 12/15/14, 01:41 PM »

Norseman, I hear you. It'd be nice if they kept it open 24/7. Anyone know, are they still planning to repave that road in 2015-2016? It got a "no impact" finding 2 years ago. That was before the sequester. Maybe repaving will make it quicker to clear.

ron j, your Model A mention got me wondering if they really plowed that dirt track, back when it was first built! I'll have to ask. That was long before the Paradise golf course and rope tow went in.

1937 Photo of skiers at Paradise

Edit: "Ah-oo-ga!" echoed across the glaciers in the winter of 1940 when the Park Service first plowed the road to Paradise for private vehicles. It was the lightest winter on record. The road has been open to Paradise for 65 of 74 winters including this winter. (If interested see Skoog's history and NPS timeline.) Now the road from the Nisqually entrance to Paradise is being rehabilitated, with the Longmire-Paradise phase to be repaved in 2016-2017. Will they open it more predictably? Who knows.
« Last Edit: 12/17/14, 02:44 PM by DenisSeattle » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.