Home > Forum > Beacon DisposalRecycling

Beacon Disposal\Recycling

• cchapin
  • [cchapin]
More
04 Dec 2014 13:48 #223088 by cchapin
Beacon Disposal\Recycling was created by cchapin
I'm retiring my beacon this year. Any recommendations on how to dispose or recycle it? It's a Tracker 1. I was thinking of bringing it down to the "Redmond Recycle and Collection" event next spring since it "accepts anything electronically wired or battery-operated."

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2014 14:22 #223089 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
If it still works, you might want to consider checking with your local outdoor club, such as the Washington Alpine Club or the Mountaineers.

Back when I was involved with the WAC Backcountry Travel Class we used to have a few old transceivers that we kept around to be buried during transceiver practice with the students. We always appreciated having older ones to bury and probe for instead of using our own personal transceivers for the class.

More
04 Dec 2014 14:28 #223090 by TDB
Replied by TDB on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
If it still sends a signal I would be happy to take it off your hands.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Dec 2014 14:41 #223091 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
I still have my Orthovox F1 -- which I use as a practice search target.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Dec 2014 15:33 #223097 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
Pete's correct -- the WAC Backcountry Travel class can make use of search-target beacons. PM if you'd like to donate yours; it'd get marked "Practice Only, Not Safe For Travel" and would stay with the class beacon-search materials.

Good on you for retiring your beacon; it's time to retire my trusty beacon too. Lotta good trips with that thing.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
04 Dec 2014 18:02 #223098 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
Just curious about the criteria one follows when deciding to retire a beacon?

I have a Tracker 1, maybe 8 years old. Seems to work fine. Do these devices have a planned obsolescence/life span?

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Dec 2014 19:37 #223076 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
Looks like Pieps, BCA, and Ortovox warranty modern beacons for 5 years, so that may help you decide.

Here's an article from The Avalanche Review (page 9) that has more in-depth consideration:
www.americanavalancheassociation.org/tar/TAR29_4_LoRes.pdf

• Edgesport
  • [Edgesport]
More
04 Dec 2014 20:07 #223100 by Edgesport
Replied by Edgesport on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
Guess I need a new one too - Tracker or Tracker2?

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
04 Dec 2014 21:46 #223103 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling

Looks like Pieps, BCA, and Ortovox warranty modern beacons for 5 years, so that may help you decide.

Here's an article from The Avalanche Review (page 9) that has more in-depth consideration:
www.americanavalancheassociation.org/tar/TAR29_4_LoRes.pdf

Good article, thanks Charlie.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
05 Dec 2014 08:10 #223104 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling

Guess I need a new one too - Tracker or Tracker2?

Ugh, definitely not the original Tracker DTS -- I really don't understand why BCA kept selling that (and apparently producing it, unless getting through the old stock is still taking *year*), since the T2 is better in every way, and barely more expensive.

For more details, BeaconReviews.com has just been extensively rehauled now, and this new page in particular is super helpful:
beaconreviews.com/transceivers/transceiver_reviews.asp

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Dec 2014 12:12 #223105 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
If anybody has an old beacon that's no good for practice or anything, you might consider donating it to the Mountaineers Archives. I've started a small collection there, thanks largely to some beacons that Michael Jackson gave me at NSAW a few weeks ago. See photos:

mountaineers.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ARCH/Snow+Safety

I'm not interested in collecting duplicates, due to limited space.

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
05 Dec 2014 12:57 #223109 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
Radka / Chris - my friend Alex Taran does some work in South America - www.southamericanbeaconproject.com/?page_id=17
they might need your beacons. Local guide Ian Nicholson just put up some beacon reviews here www.outdoorgearlab.com/Avalanche-Beacon-Reviews

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
05 Dec 2014 23:01 #223114 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
I'm starting to change my mind on using really old analog transceivers for practice with new digital ones. I'm starting to think it's better to train with the ones your party skis with

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
06 Dec 2014 04:21 #223116 by Jonathan_S.
Using an F1 as a target can make searching harder.
But then again, that can be seen as a plus (i.e., the real thing will only be easier if anything).

• cchapin
  • [cchapin]
More
09 Dec 2014 12:42 #223167 by cchapin
Replied by cchapin on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Apparently we'll be using them one last time on Christmas day... and will make a decision where they go after that.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
13 Dec 2014 23:32 #223240 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
Had a very eye opening experience at a refresher course two years ago; beacons really do degrade their range over time. I don't recall specifics, but I do remember we compared Trackers as well as Tracker 2's head to head and only 5 years of age made a substantial difference.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
14 Dec 2014 06:32 #223241 by Jonathan_S.

Had a very eye opening experience at a refresher course two years ago; beacons really do degrade their range over time.  I don't recall specifics, but I do remember we compared Trackers as well as Tracker 2's head to head and only 5 years of age made a substantial difference.

I've never seen this assertion supported by any sort of rigorous test, other kind of assessment, and/or underlying technical explanation.
For any differences in various generations of the original Tracker DTS, the initial signal acquisition range was enhanced over time, so you were probably picking up improvements that made over the years, not degradation from chronological aging.
For five years of age making a difference in the Tracker 2, the "old" units that you were testing at the time couldn't have been much older than two years, so must have been something wrong with the testing protocol.

• Chris S
  • [mtnfreak]
More
02 Jan 2015 23:25 #223419 by Chris S
Replied by Chris S on topic Re: Beacon Disposal\Recycling
OK, official disclaimer - I'm the Pacific Northwest Tech Rep for BCA and K2 Backside. I'm also one of the guides at Pro Guiding Service. I did fact-check what I'm about to write here with BCA:

BCA recommends that you replace your beacon every 5 years. It is, after all, a piece of electronics that will age. Parts work loose, circuit boards get brittle, batteries are left inside for the summer to corrode. Personally, I'm always a little surprised that someone will replace their cell phone every two years, but want their avalanche transceiver to last 20. I won't ski with anyone using a beacon more than 10 years old, or more than 5 years old that they bought used and can't confirm the age isn't less than 10. I actually keep a beacon with me to loan to these folks (or if they accidentally forgot their own).

BCA still makes the Tracker DTS simply because there is still a demand for it! I've always imagined the customer is either 1) the struggling-college-kid-eating-ramen-to-go-skiing-and-watching-every-doller or 2) someone who practiced with a loaned Tracker DTS and picks it out because its what they're familiar with. Both will probably use it for 2-5 years, then upgrade to a different model, and then loan that DTS to a new ski partner. Awesome!

I do agree with Jonathan S that the Tracker 2 is better in almost every way - three antenna and even more intuitive to use. Its the beacon I loan out to my partners and guests.

The concern over "signal drift" dates back to analog beacons and the first generations of digital beacons, when antennas were made with ceramics that could age, degrade, and break with time. Older beacons actually had looser tolerances for "signal drift" to try to compensate. Current antenna's utilize crystals instead, eliminating that concern and allowing for tighter tolerances - so older beacons sometimes don't play well with the newest models. So do you parking lot checks!

Feel free to message or email me if you have any further questions. Be safe!