Home > Trip Reports > Scottish Lakes High Camp Trail Marking 1/12/14

Scottish Lakes High Camp Trail Marking 1/12/14

12/1/14
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Lynden Don on 12/3/14 1:56am
One of the ways that High Camp operates is through the efforts of volunteers. Yearly the camp organizes 4 work parties; summer maintenance, early and late woodcutting & trail marking crew.  I've participated in all and find the trail marking to be the most fun.  The premise is to split into small crews of 3-5, ski assigned trails, brushing and marking as needed. Some crews simply need to reflag trees, others pack in bundles of bamboo poles, some crews have had to saw out downed trees.
For the last couple of years I've headed up the crew going up on McCue Ridge.  This year, due to the forest fires, we needed to pack in a fair number of poles, along with some considerable brushing.  The minimal snow coverage made for some challenging skiing.  Captain Mike from Baring named this year's crew the Gnarly Boys.
All said and done it was a fun couple of days with some nice turns up on McCue Ridge.

Until next time

Don
Good for you guys. I'm glad you found any snow to stand those poles in. Hope you did a snow dance up on the ridge.

Jeesh....it took me awhile to figure out that this topic used some damned euro date ordering.

Reply to this TR

scottish-lakes-high-camp-trail-marking-1-12-14
Lynden Don
2014-12-03 09:56:57