Home > Trip Reports > October 30, 2005, Table Mountain area

October 30, 2005, Table Mountain area

10/30/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 10/31/05 5:55am
   Once again, circumstances had me needing the last weekend of the month to maintain my humble streak, but what a difference a month can make. Forecasts suggested all week that real snow was finally going to be available at lower elevations in the Mt.Baker area. The ski area parking lot had already been plowed at least once when we( Lorne O. and myself) arrived around 8:45 new time.

We were concerned about lack of adequate snow coverage so we stuck to the road. Several other adventurers who left after us successfully climbed the traditional route straight up, apparently without problems.

Visibility remained poor throughout the day. The falling snow was just one step above sleet and the light was flat. There wasn't much of a base and it was easy to push one's poles more than 18 inches down.

With the unfavourable conditions we decided to go only as far as the eastern end of Table's southern slopes. We were aware of the fact that heather covers the rocks there, giving  our skis and bodies some degree of protection. After yo-yoing the 200' of elevation drop there for awhile we retraced our rapidly disappearing tracks back to Austin Pass.  

Summer skiing had removed any wax from my bases so Baker's classic cement reduced my horizontal movements to a cruel form of snow shoeing. We decided to try the Blueberry Chutes, hoping that friction would keep the bases clean.The descent was hardly a thing of beauty. There was some indication of unstability in the snow pack and the area is likely becoming unsafe with the continuing snow fall. The photo below was taken near the bottom of the chutes.

Bob

According to the local Vancouver newspaper, the Mount Baker ski hill received 14" of additional snow Sunday night. More snow is expected during the week; conditions this weekend could be considerably different than what we experienced last Sunday. Looks like a great start to the "traditional" ski year!

Reply to this TR

october-30-2005-table-mountain-area
Telemon
2005-10-31 13:55:41