Home > Trip Reports > October 30, 2005, Muir Snowfield

October 30, 2005, Muir Snowfield

10/30/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 10/30/05 4:25pm
I couldn't just sit at home and guess, due to NWAC strike on Rainier, how much snow had fallen in the Paradise area.  By quarter till 7am I found myself hitting every green light going down 161.  Wasn't long before I caught a glimpse of the alpenglow on Rainier.  Looked like it was going to be bluebird above 8k.

Pulled into a rather empty lot with the clouds hanging around.  I was the 4th car.  Next to me was a skier named Alex who would join me for the day.  I was pondering if one could skin from the lot.  Recent snow that had been booted down to compact snow and ice.  Will do.  There was just enough snow cover to skin on the trail.  Off course the higher we got the deeper the coverage and evidence of wind transported snow.  By the time we crested Pan Pt the suns silhouette could be made through the clouds.  By Pebble Creek the snowfield appeared and then quickly disappeared.

Alex and I skinned to 9k, around the base of Anvil.  The wind was starting to pick up and it was cold.  Snow could best be described as fine windpacked powder at variable depths.  Where we descended it was 6 inches to foot plus.  Overall the surface was not as uneven as I had expected and there were nice smooth ribbons of pow to carve.  Once we entered the shelter of the rocks it was anywhere from a couple inches to 6 inches of fluff.  Near the windlips it was seriously deeper.  Made for some fun turns and drops when you could see them.  The last pitch before the final flats to 7400ft had the combo of flat light, low visibility.  Most of the cracks were well covered with fresh and had tracks from the day prior.  This was also where a majority of the tracks from yesterday existed.

Alex and I tried to ride as far as possible.  Alex made it just above the Pan Pt summer traverse.  I opted to walk after watching a boarder descend from Pan Pt.  This guy carved on rock with such grace, for a second I thought it was Kam reincarnated. ;D

Finally it's looking like winter up there.  Glad to meet and share some turns with you Alex.  Btw nice to see you and crew getting some freshies Paul.
Nice report, Eric.
Clearly (no pun intended) challenging times.  
The good news, of course - new snow.
The challenge - trying to figure out how to maximize fun and minimize discomfort with so little new snow and such variable weather.  ;)
We managed to find boot deep lee side freshies on a fairly long line to work HERE,

HERE, and HERE.

The effect is reflected HERE and HERE.
'Course we we just about the last ones back to the parking lot, too  :)

Yep, it was a very good day indeed, we really nailed the October turns   ;D.

Oooo - that looks nice. Cant wait to ski with y'all again.

Michael

rj, jw, mad dog, and eric--ROCK ON!!! (no pun intended ;))

Glad to hear the day treated everyone so well-I was with you all in spirit :)  Until next time...Ullr is treating us well so far

Yes good report Eric,  We had our fun and our  little challenges 8) Here's two shots I thought were pretty cool:  Jeanette and  
Ron

oooh JW! Those misty photos look spooky and oh so Halloween like.
Nice work!
Hope to ski with y'all soon.

Sounds like everyone that showed got a little taste of what's to come.  Once again good pics ronj and jw.  Maddog I still remember last years pic on 10/31.  Maybe by next weekend eh?  Allyson that was sick costume.  I was a knuckledragger. ;D

Due to the poor visibility Jizosh & I decided not to go all the way to muir, but settled with yo-yo-ing a wind loaded ridge just below the tippy-top of pan-point.

It was great to see actual snow!!    ;D

And finish our first 12 month streak ever!

And nice to bump into you mr snoslut.

Now, where shall we go and play this weekend??

*zoom*

It was great to see actual snow!!    ;D
And finish our first 12 month streak ever!

Way to go!  

Reply to this TR

october-30-2005-muir-snowfield
snoslut
2005-10-31 00:25:31