Home > Trip Reports > November 29, 2014, - Summit West

November 29, 2014, - Summit West

11/29/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jakedouglas on 11/29/14 3:30am
All of the snow from last weekend is gone. The new snow is nice but there is not nearly enough of it. 2-3 good turns at the very top but after that hooky brush had me doing long traverses to get down. Last weekend was better, sorry to say.

Very happy to see WSP checking vehicles and turning away those without adequate traction systems. Definitely prefer to wait in a line for 15 minutes than have the road get shut down for 3 hours due to accidents and lose the day completely.
Thanks for lowering our expectations in the parking lot jake! With recalibrated sense of conditions we took two runs and had great fun.

Excellent snow quality, but it was so light things are not at all knocked down/filled in. (But I imagine reports from places with a base will come back glowing later today). Name of the game was to go fast and not make wide turns. Slow down, and the brush gets ya.

Agree 100%.  Toured up to the top of the ridge at Central today, and honestly the trip up was more enjoyable than the trip down.  The snow quality was superb and the temperature and views were great, but there just wasn't enough depth.  Hit a lot of sharks on the trip down.  Going to need some TLC on the base now.

We went for a short stroll on foot at pass level this afternoon. FS roads are quite snowy (6-8" of dry fluff atop 2-4" of very consolidated and supportable snow), but forests are almost barren in spots (snow on the trees). Cold and beautiful at sunset; unexpectedly good day out.

Hey I thought it was pretty fun. One core shot, but that's what ptex candles are for.

Hmm. I didn't experience anything quite that nice.

author=jakedouglas link=topic=32847.msg136921#msg136921 date=1417389091]
Hmm. I didn't experience anything quite that nice.

To be fair, that was from Central. West doesn't have anything steep enough for that! (Wildside excluded).

Reply to this TR

november-29-2014-summit-west
jakedouglas
2014-11-29 11:30:59