Home > Trip Reports > Nov 16, 2014, Paradise - Muir - Nisqually Chutes

Nov 16, 2014, Paradise - Muir - Nisqually Chutes

11/16/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ride66 on 11/16/14 12:28pm
Headed out from Paradise at about 9:30, hiking up to Pan Point in high winds. The walkway from the lot was treacherous with ice but it got better about a mile in. From Pan Point you could skin with ski crampons, but a lot of people boot-packing it because of how firm it was. About noon and 8000' the wind shut off and it was beautiful. We made Muir by 1:30 and enjoyed a nice lunch break in the sun.  From there the snowfield was pretty firm, with a mix of ice and hardpack where you could get an edge. Then into the Nisqually Chutes where it was much softer - it skied very well to the bottom where we were able to hike out with no issues.
Way to take advantage of the easterlies.

Thanks for the timely post!  It validated my plan for today, which did not suck!

Retrying a disappearing post:
Katoolah Microspikes were awesome.

Looking good Jason! Surprised people boot packed that hard surface. This only validates I gotta get crampons for my Karakorams.

Definitey, Brain!  I ended up bootin up while SP skinned with crampons.  The chute skied very similar to when we skied it a few weeks ago.  Exit was slightly better though :)

Reply to this TR

nov-16-2014-paradise-muir-nisqually-chutes
ride66
2014-11-16 20:28:53