Home > Trip Reports > November 11-12, Silent Mountain, Purcells

November 11-12, Silent Mountain, Purcells

11/11/14
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 11/14/14 2:17am
Left Farnham glacier in a dark whiteout and drove north to sleep on the logging road just outside of Parsons. Car camping that night was cold but not too bad. In the morning we sent up to Caribou Creek which is below Silent Mountain on the southeast edge of glacier national park. We drove to 1700m the first day and toured 4km into the Caribou Creek environs along the logging road to verify we wouldn't get the car stuck trying to drive further. There wasn't much skiing to be had the first day mostly just checking things out and enjoying the views at ridge top. Upon returning we drove the car to the end of the road to the caribou creek TH. The Xterra had 2cm of clearance to spare at the end of the road. Car camping Tuesday night was bitterly cold. In the morning we both got minor frostbite on our big toes standing around making breakfast. Wednesday was bitterly cold in the valleys but in the sun the temperature was rather comfortable. If I had a time machine I would go back and lug our winter camping gear into the alpine rather then toughing it out in the dark valley. We attempted to use the caribou creek trail to get into the alpine but the forest skintrack was fairly heinous. I would recommend going up the valley instead along the river. You would have to walk short sections but it is certainly much easier and faster then the forest. Great snow on southeast and southwest aspects which were loaded by the recent north winds. We brought glacier gear to go ski silent mountain but decided the turns in the environs were too good to make the cold dark treck up the glacier worth while.
The last picture is worth the minor frostbite ;)

You can actually make out the bench that the Battle Abbey Hut sits on in the back of the last photo. So many mountains so little time.

Reply to this TR

november-11-12-silent-mountain-purcells
Skier of the Hood
2014-11-14 10:17:55