Home > Trip Reports > Nov 8, 2014, Heliotrope Ice Skating Competition

Nov 8, 2014, Heliotrope Ice Skating Competition

11/8/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by kciari on 11/8/14 1:01pm
Last weekend I was high on life after ) but even this had me clenching my cheeks. Our route was still shaded, making it hard to differentiate between bad ice and really, really bad ice. You'd get overconfident with a few decent steps only to come crashing back to reality with a single bad step.

Eventually we made it to our "high point", a rock outcropping at the base of the bowl at roughly 6200'. It was 11:30am. We took one look at each other, and each reached into our bags to grab out our beers. We were done. To further solidify our decision, I hiked up about 100' to ski down. I have no doubt you could hear those 5 turns from miles away.

Shortly our party of three became a party of 12 when a few different teams of Canadians descended on our "safe spot". They, too, lamented not bringing their hockey skates. They sent a reconnoissance mission, with Jill en tow, up about 500' only to return with the same conclusion as me. Apparently the top turns were "a little better", but not by much.

So, we hung out for a while longer, Imran played some "golf", and the three of us headed down. We did put our skis on to traverse through the rock and "snow" to our boots. Again I took the ridge down in ski boots for better purchase, then we "enjoyed" the standard slog out.

No, but seriously, I had a fun day. The sun was out (briefly) and Baker was stunning (as always). We just didn't get the goods. Sometimes you're right, and sometimes you're....less right. Don't get me wrong - I'm all about hiking - as long as there's the possibility of skiing at the end of the rainbow. If you are however, deluded into thinking there will actually be skiing tomorrow at the end of this rainbow quest, I have to say you will not, in fact, win at Heliotroping.
You might have been a bit hasty in your retreat, we took a casual start and brought steel crampons for the water ice so it was all good fun.  We turned around at the top of Heliotrope around 1pm and found the snow to be a lot more fun than we were expecting based on the reflection of the sun and the sounds of the skiers ahead of us.  Score 1 for sleeping in!

author=Jason4 link=topic=32620.msg136357#msg136357 date=1415586022]
You might have been a bit hasty in your retreat, we took a casual start and brought steel crampons for the water ice so it was all good fun.  We turned around at the top of Heliotrope around 1pm and found the snow to be a lot more fun than we were expecting based on the reflection of the sun and the sounds of the skiers ahead of us.  Score 1 for sleeping in!

You mean to tell me all I had to do was sleep a few more hours and bring crampons and my day would have been COMPLETELY different?!? DAMMIT! ;-)

Oh well, at least it was an ADVENTURE!

This TR has me wondering one thing, what would Brian Boitano do?

author=ND link=topic=32620.msg136404#msg136404 date=1415734220]
This TR has me wondering one thing, what would Brian Boitano do?
slept in ftw

Love your TR's Kristina!!! what a wonderful icy playground we have all over the Cascades right now...decent snow to be found with rewards of moderate to steep ice climbing.

author=Roger Strong link=topic=32620.msg136503#msg136503 date=1416152704]
Love your TR's Kristina!!! what a wonderful icy playground we have all over the Cascades right now...decent snow to be found with rewards of moderate to steep ice climbing.

Ha! Thanks Roj! Great seeing you last weekend!

i strongly recommend packing an actual golf club and hitting shots while on the skiis !

Reply to this TR

nov-8-2014-heliotrope-ice-skating-competition
kciari
2014-11-08 21:01:13