telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/24/17, 11:33 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  November 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Nov 8, 2014, Heliotrope Ice Skating Competition
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nov 8, 2014, Heliotrope Ice Skating Competition  (Read 31052 times)
kciari
5Member

Nov 8, 2014, Heliotrope Ice Skating Competition
« on: 11/08/14, 09:01 PM »

Last weekend I was high on life after winning at Heliotroping. Trust me, it's a thing which one can win. I let the hubris get the best of me and looked at the "weather window" for this weekend and saw only the GOOD. Sun? Yes! High freezing level? Yes! Another weekend of awesome slaying at Helio?? YESSS!

But let's be honest here for a moment: after looking at the report last night, we all knew it was going to be an iceskating competition up there, and I do not know how to do a triple lutz. I don't let that stop me from wearing a tutu though...

In further display of my misplaced enthusiasm, I agreed to meet Imran and Jill at 5:15am at the 65th P&R. Why? Well, to get first track on zee ice of course!

Drive time was about 3 hours because we took the scenic hwy9 route and stopped for the requisite potty break at the ranger station. We were hiking by 8:45, made it to the (much icier than last week) waterfall by 9:20, and were suffering up the ridge by 10am. The trail, just like last week, was covered in a layer of black ice - although the creek crossing were much less perilous this go around.

We reached the top of the ridge (about 6k) and ditched our shoes in favor of ski boots, which were only marginally better. Why oh why didn't I get those micrcospikes I was talking about last week? Or at least bring real crampons?! Ski crampons are useless unless you are ON your skis....

Gingerly we worked our way across the upper hilly/creeky/rocky ice section. I took a spill trying to go "off-piste", and my whippet with the rubber tip protector was no help whatsoever. Good thing Jill was there to bring my painful clawing-at-the-ice to a halt.

A pair of skiers ahead opted to work up the Coleman while we headed west toward Heliotrope. Only in ski boots, the going was slow. We had to kick in each step, and even then the purchase was very minimal. I'm fairly confident on steep, icy stuff (see MixUp Peak report) but even this had me clenching my cheeks. Our route was still shaded, making it hard to differentiate between bad ice and really, really bad ice. You'd get overconfident with a few decent steps only to come crashing back to reality with a single bad step.

Eventually we made it to our "high point", a rock outcropping at the base of the bowl at roughly 6200'. It was 11:30am. We took one look at each other, and each reached into our bags to grab out our beers. We were done. To further solidify our decision, I hiked up about 100' to ski down. I have no doubt you could hear those 5 turns from miles away.

Shortly our party of three became a party of 12 when a few different teams of Canadians descended on our "safe spot". They, too, lamented not bringing their hockey skates. They sent a reconnoissance mission, with Jill en tow, up about 500' only to return with the same conclusion as me. Apparently the top turns were "a little better", but not by much.

So, we hung out for a while longer, Imran played some "golf", and the three of us headed down. We did put our skis on to traverse through the rock and "snow" to our boots. Again I took the ridge down in ski boots for better purchase, then we "enjoyed" the standard slog out.

No, but seriously, I had a fun day. The sun was out (briefly) and Baker was stunning (as always). We just didn't get the goods. Sometimes you're right, and sometimes you're....less right. Don't get me wrong - I'm all about hiking - as long as there's the possibility of skiing at the end of the rainbow. If you are however, deluded into thinking there will actually be skiing tomorrow at the end of this rainbow quest, I have to say you will not, in fact, win at Heliotroping.

* IMG_7135.JPG (152.6 KB, 800x600 - viewed 2497 times.)

* IMG_7164.JPG (221.8 KB, 800x800 - viewed 2493 times.)

* IMG_7158.JPG (210.32 KB, 600x800 - viewed 2533 times.)

I love skiing in a tutu. Find me via #tutusallyear.
Jason4

Re: Nov 8, 2014, Heliotrope Ice Skating Competition
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/14, 06:20 PM »

You might have been a bit hasty in your retreat, we took a casual start and brought steel crampons for the water ice so it was all good fun.  We turned around at the top of Heliotrope around 1pm and found the snow to be a lot more fun than we were expecting based on the reflection of the sun and the sounds of the skiers ahead of us.  Score 1 for sleeping in!

Free your heel, free your mind.
Fix your heel, fix your problem.
- Pred, 2013
kciari
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 11/10/14, 12:54 PM »

You might have been a bit hasty in your retreat, we took a casual start and brought steel crampons for the water ice so it was all good fun.  We turned around at the top of Heliotrope around 1pm and found the snow to be a lot more fun than we were expecting based on the reflection of the sun and the sounds of the skiers ahead of us.  Score 1 for sleeping in!

You mean to tell me all I had to do was sleep a few more hours and bring crampons and my day would have been COMPLETELY different?!? DAMMIT! ;-)

Oh well, at least it was an ADVENTURE!

ND

« Reply #3 on: 11/11/14, 11:30 AM »

This TR has me wondering one thing, what would Brian Boitano do?
Jason4

« Reply #4 on: 11/12/14, 08:46 PM »

- Pred, 2013
Jason4

« Reply #5 on: 11/13/14, 07:46 PM »

« Last Edit: 11/14/14, 02:49 PM by Jason4 » Logged

- Pred, 2013
flowing alpy

« Reply #6 on: 11/15/14, 09:06 PM »

This TR has me wondering one thing, what would Brian Boitano do?
slept in ftw
Roger Strong
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 11/16/14, 07:45 AM »

Love your TR's Kristina!!! what a wonderful icy playground we have all over the Cascades right now...decent snow to be found with rewards of moderate to steep ice climbing.
kciari
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 11/26/14, 11:31 AM »

Love your TR's Kristina!!! what a wonderful icy playground we have all over the Cascades right now...decent snow to be found with rewards of moderate to steep ice climbing.

Ha! Thanks Roj! Great seeing you last weekend!

funhog
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 11/28/14, 08:15 AM »

i strongly recommend packing an actual golf club and hitting shots while on the skiis !
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.