Home > Trip Reports > November 7-8, 2014, Muir Overnight

November 7-8, 2014, Muir Overnight

11/7/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stoney_Mountain on 11/8/14 10:32am
Had a mini-epic and learned the hard way the value of ski crampons. We left Paradise at 18:30 and were on snow by 19:30 but couldn't skin due to ice so put on crampons and booted up. Kept on slogging until 9200 and I hit the wall. My rad partner Jeff Steele and I agreed that the booting was not awesome, so we slipped down some awesome moonlit ice to 8100 where we dug an open bivy in a wind lip. This ended up being the best choice, however, since we had a insanely beautiful sunrise and were able to carve up the only soft snow on the whole snowfield before the parking lot parade got up. No winds, full moon, open bivy and clear skies made for a once in a lifetime overnight on Rainier for sure.

yeah!~ that second picture is money!

Enjoyed the photographs.

That windlip is money. We had a dead-calm lunch on top of your future trench with 30 mph winds a 100 yards away on Oct. 29.
Incredible shots too!

We were watching you from the comfort of the parking lot trying to figure out what was going on up there. Mystery solved! Great photos.

Zack

next time build a kicker on the uphill side of the bivy ;) j/k amazing photos, sweet trip!

Ha thanks guys, encouraging words for my first time posting.

Great seeing you guys up there. Snapped this terrible shot of you guys running laps around midnight.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5frgCnep4jMQ1NpX3pjWUpQSmc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the sweet shot Bradley! 

Notice that only Ben has his headlamp on.  Mine broke.  Luckily the moon was more than bright enough to snowboard down without it.  Other than the fact that it was complete ice, riding Muir under a full moon sans headlamp was super fun! 

Reply to this TR

november-7-8-2014-muir-overnight
Stoney_Mountain
2014-11-08 18:32:45