Home > Trip Reports > Nov 7, 2014, Heliotrope ice skiing

Nov 7, 2014, Heliotrope ice skiing

11/7/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by runningclouds on 11/7/14 9:54am
Our private forecaster assured us there will be at least 7 in of powder waiting for us on Heliotrope. Instead we got ice and since we were crampon-less we barely made it halfway up the snowfield. Few smarter skiers showed up with crampons and we could hear them skiing from a mile away as we exited with tails between legs. Trail below, on and above Hog'sback is super slippery too. But at least it was sunny.

This could prove to be a very problematic layer soon.
Have fun and think crampons.
author=runningclouds link=topic=32605.msg136287#msg136287 date=1415411692]
we could hear them skiing from a mile away

funny!

author=runningclouds link=topic=32605.msg136287#msg136287 date=1415411692]
This could prove to be a very problematic layer soon.

maybe...but with an indian summer around the corner maybe not

Thanks for the beta.  Although I don't mind ice while skiing, hiking up icy conditions is not my thing.

A message from the past

cumulus, I hope so but I am not so optimistic.

I see, let's hope that will take care of the ice, fingers crossed.

Runningcloud, thank you very much for the info. You are definitely right, and I'd add that I'd be quite concerned about what's happening beneath the ice ( in addition to the possibility of large direct action events during subsequent storms, as you note ).

In 2003 there were numerous fatal avalanches in British Columbia that ran on an ice layer ( that later became crust/facet **** sandwich ) that formed early in the season. This includes the high-profile event at Tumbledown / La Traviata ( that killed Craig Kelly ) and the avalanche in Connaught Valley that killed 7 students. The Cascades might or might not have a widespread problem ( I can't say because I have no data ), but this is one of the most popular skiing spots.

CookieMonster, 2003 was definitely a difficult year. From what I saw the ice is directly over ground or the old summer snow (on snowfields). It seems all the new October/November snow either washed out, melted or was transformed into the current top layer. This observation is for N aspect between 1600-2000m (5200-6500 ft).

While the skiing was not that great the cold produced a bright clear day, perfect for taking pictures. The full slideshow is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157648776237027/

Reply to this TR

nov-7-2014-heliotrope-ice-skiing
runningclouds
2014-11-07 17:54:52