Home > Trip Reports > October 23, 2005, Muir

October 23, 2005, Muir

10/23/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jiri on 10/23/05 7:27am
I could not resist after reading the reports from Fri and Sat. The morning drizzle around Seattle made me worried I was just going to waste gas but Rainier was in a good mood and let me go up and down under partly cloudy sky. I was expecting to hit the snow right at the Pebble creek but I wasn't able to skin up untill about 150 feet higher. The mountain looks very bare when looking from Pebble creek but it gets much better after the short carry the other two reports mention as well. Strong cold wind was blowing at camp Muir. When skiing down the first few hundreds feet were frozen snow because of it. The rest was excelent and made the trip worthy. Below the carry it was icy with a few patches of mashed potatoes. I met three parties of two. I was by myself.
The clip at the end broke off of one of my skins somewhere on the way up. Is it fixable?
Juri - I'm glad you managed to recover a bit of that hero snow that our brothers and sisters had their way with the day before you.
The clip at the end broke off of one of my skins somewhere on the way up. Is it fixable?
If you mean the little tail hook that is on the skin attach configurations with the elastic rubber piece at the tip bail, they used to make a repair kit for that system:

I'd venture to guess if you take it up to Marmot in Bellevue (or Backpacker Supply in Tacoma) they can either sell you a repair kit or repair it for you.  If they don't have the parts anymore (it's getting harder to find the tailhook attach systems anymore) let me know, I probably have the same parts laying around somewhere from an old kit.
If you were talking about something that broke at the tip end of the skin with a later attach systm like Clip-fix or STS, Marmot should be able to help you with that, too.

Hope to see you again on the mountain sometime.

Reply to this TR

october-23-2005-muir
jiri
2005-10-23 14:27:29