Home > Trip Reports > Nov 2, 2014, Paradise to Muir

Nov 2, 2014, Paradise to Muir

11/2/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by DOD on 11/3/14 12:36am
gloomy weather at Paradise gave way to sunshine above 7k. 1 inch O'night new on top of previous days totals made for easy skinning above Pan point. Packed powder on the muir snowfield above 8k with some sastrugi on wind affected patches between 9-10k. Cloud bank hovered at between 7-8K. We found ourselves singing one of Silas's hymes "we're so smart, we're so smart" in summer like sunshine.

The good weather held out until just after our lunch at Muir, as the cloud bank started it's creep up the snowfield signaling the arrival of a westerly front. We had classic vertigo white  room muir antics  on the lower snowfield. Blustery sideways snow and no visibility lower down, I used my new GPS to succesfully locate Pan Point. Best $100 i have ever spent!!!
Glad you got back safe!   

gps is such a wonderful tool.
Thanks for the report!

i might be inclined to learn how to use that tool.

after a few Muir white room epic's over the years, lt was just so luxurious to be able to press a button and work out exactly where you are to within 3ft!!.. rather reassuring on an angry big hipped 14,000ft volcano that is throwing snow at you sideways at 45mph.

Those gullies below Pebble Creek look surprisingly the same in bad light. I was happy to be following some spread out people when it started snowing at the end of our day on Saturday. There are some places you don't want to stumble over. I felt like I had almost admired the sunshine for a bit too long.

Brian

Reply to this TR

nov-2-2014-paradise-to-muir
DOD
2014-11-03 08:36:48