Home > Trip Reports > October 27, 2014, Mt. Hood, Timberline/Palmer

October 27, 2014, Mt. Hood, Timberline/Palmer

10/27/14
OR Mt Hood
Posted by garrettww on 10/27/14 10:22am
It was a beautiful day with sunshine and plenty of fresh to make skiing to and from the car quite feasible. The official reading was 10" of new at the lodge, but it felt like more. I arrived at the lot at 8am, just as the clouds were parting, revealing a blue bird sky. Hood looked quite glorious in her new white coat. The lifts weren't running, so the area was pretty quiet. I only saw a few folks all day.

Skinning up was easy, as the new snow was somewhat packed.  One skier had arrived sometime before me, so I followed his skin track. I was able to get a quick video of him skiing down, though we didn't get a chance to chat.  Above 7000' conditions gradually became firmer with occasional wind scoured areas on the Palmer snowfield.

Since I am new to Hood, and there wasn't anyone else around, I decided to turn around at about 9,000,' in favor of some laps down low where things were softer. As I was leaving at around 2pm there were several other folks just coming up.

https://vimeo.com/110208192
If this is you in the video - nice turns! (and thanks for the skin track!)
I was there as well and didn't expect that much snow around the Magic Mile lift. I had a feeling Palmer was not worth the effort since it tends to get wind effected. I'm glad the weather window held up.

Beautiful. 

Guy in your vid probably isn't a TAY member.  We're friendly & stop to say hello. 

Hoping against the warm weather forecast. 

You don't get snow like that on the Magic Mile very often.

Reply to this TR

october-27-2014-mt-hood-timberline-palmer
garrettww
2014-10-27 17:22:25