Home > Forum > Super sad news - Carl Skoog dies :(

Super sad news - Carl Skoog dies :(

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
21 Oct 2005 08:16 - 25 Oct 2005 08:46 #172737 by Jeff Huber
Super sad news - Carl Skoog dies :( was created by Jeff Huber
This is from ttips news<br>

10/21-- American climbing and ski mountaineering legend Carl Skoog was reportedly killed Monday in an accident on the South Face of 6,670m Mt. Mercedario in Argentina, according to a report in a local paper, Diario de Cuyo. The article reports that Carl fell while skiing down a 60 degree slope at around 4,000m. He was apparently unable to arrest, and hit his head on a rock outcropping. Rene Crawshaw, Skoog's frequent climbing partner, reportedly told authorities that they had just begun a third descent on the mountain (it's unclear but it would seem likely this was a third "stage" on the overall descent, rather than a yo-yo) when the fall took place. As this tragic story continues to unfold we will update as more information becomes available. The Telemarktips crew extends its sincere condolences to his brother Lowell, as well as the rest of the Skoog family, and his many friends.

<br><br>I usually am unemotional but this news is deeply saddening my spirit. I'm so sorry Lowell and family.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2005 08:28 #172738 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Wow. <br>Bummer. <br>My heartfelt condolences to all Carl's friends and loved ones. Words cannot describe how shocked and saddened I am by this news. The world is now going to be shy one hell of a good writer/photographer/ski mounaineer. <br>You're right, Jeff, it is definately, bad, bad news.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Oct 2005 08:37 #172739 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
As news of Carl's death spreads on the web today, I thought I should post a short summary of what I know, based on my conversation with Carl's climbing partner, Rene Crawshaw. On behalf of Carl's family, I'd like to thank the readers of this board for their words of support. <br><br> <br><br><br>On October 17, 2005, my brother Carl Skoog died in a mountaineering accident on Cerro Mercedario (6777 m, 22210 ft) in the high Andes of Argentina. Carl was climbing and skiing with his friend Rene Crawshaw of Chilliwack, B.C. Their trip plan was to revisit and document the country described in the 1975 book by Piers Paul Read, "Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors," about a 1972 plane crash involving a Uruguayan rugby team.<br><br>Carl and Rene had already climbed a peak called Cerro Negro. That climb and descent went well. After climbing Cerro Negro, they established a camp at 14,500 feet on Cerro Mercedario. After some weather delays, they climbed the south face of Mercedario and established a higher camp at about 20,000 feet. They spent three nights at the high camp and during this period they made a successful one-day climb to the summit and back. Rene said that he and Carl were both doing well at altitude.<br><br>Around mid-morning on October 17, they began their descent from high camp. According to Rene, they were working their way down a 42-degree snow slope when Carl's fall occurred. The snow texture was uneven and they were side-slipping on skis at the time. Carl may have struck a hidden rock or other obstacle, but there is no way to know for sure. He attempted to arrest his fall but was not successful. He struck some rocks, and Rene thought he may have lost consciousness at that point. Carl ultimately tumbled 4500 vertical feet. Rene descended over a period of several hours and located Carl's body, confirming that he had died.<br><br>Cerro Mercedario is in remote country, and it took Rene 1-1/2 days to hike out for assistance. The U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires notified Carl's family on October 20 and on the same day a military party on foot and with mules left to recover Carl's body. The recovery is expected to take three days.<br><br>Lowell Skoog<br>Seattle, WA<br>

• Sam Avaiusini
  • [savaiusini]
More
21 Oct 2005 09:02 - 21 Oct 2005 09:07 #172740 by Sam Avaiusini
Replied by Sam Avaiusini on topic Carl Skoog
The Cascades have lost a true pioneer.  Our local hills will feel a certain emptiness without Carl.  A class act in the truest sense, my heart is with the entire Skoog family in this very sad time.  I'm sure that despite his passing in South America, Carl Skoog's spirit will live on in our corner of the world as well as the many other places his adventures took him.<br>We can rest easier knowing he died living the good life.

More
21 Oct 2005 09:19 - 22 Oct 2005 04:45 #172741 by Monika
Replied by Monika on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Dear Lowell,<br><br>Such sad shocking news  !!    <br><br>My deepest condolences to you, your family and Carl's other loved ones--it's so hard to lose a loved one suddenly without being able to say good bye.<br><br>   -Monika

More
21 Oct 2005 10:15 #172746 by skip
Lowell - I'm so terribly sorry for you and your family. As I mentioned to some friends, I knew the name Carl Skoog through his photography well before moving to the Northwest. He had true talent.<br><br>My deepest condolences,<br>-s

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
21 Oct 2005 10:29 #172747 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
I can't say anything beyond what others have said already. Very sad.

More
21 Oct 2005 11:16 #172748 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
When I was living in Wisconsin and dreaming of moving west, I was reading stories of the Skoog brothers exploits in the Cascades. These stories and the pictures were a big part of my enventual move out here.<br><br>To Lowell and the rest of the Skoogs and their friends I send my sincere condolances. Carl will be missed by the whole of the climbing and skiing community.

• ajjenkin
  • [ajjenkin]
More
21 Oct 2005 11:18 #172749 by ajjenkin
Replied by ajjenkin on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Lowell - Shocked to hear this kind of news. My deepest sympahties go out to you and your family. Be strong!

More
21 Oct 2005 12:06 #172750 by JMor
My deepest sympathy to the Skoog famlies, and friends during this trying time.

• sheispiste
  • [sheispiste]
More
21 Oct 2005 12:22 #172751 by sheispiste
Replied by sheispiste on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Lowell, <br>I am saddened by this shocking news. May we all continue to be awed by his photographic talents. May his memory remain a blessing. My thoughts are with you and your family. <br><br>Jessica

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Oct 2005 13:27 #172753 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Deepest sympathy to all family and friends.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Oct 2005 15:35 #172754 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
May his memory always be for a blessing.

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
21 Oct 2005 15:44 - 21 Oct 2005 15:46 #172755 by Paul_Russell
Replied by Paul_Russell on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Lowell,<br>I'm so saddened to hear of Carl's death and the loss to you and your family.  Thank you for posting the information about the incident.  It is certainly a sad day for all of us in the skiing and climbing community to lose Carl.  My deepest sympathies.<br>-Paul<br><br><br>

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
21 Oct 2005 17:06 #172756 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
I was away skiing today and was shocked to read this news when I got back. The only time I met Carl was when I took a glacier course on the south side of Baker, soon after I moved here. Carl was one of the instructors and was very good - I learned a lot. I have really enjoyed reading about Carl's skiing adventures and seeing his excellent photography. Lowell, I'm so sorry to learn of this and hope you and your family are doing OK.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
22 Oct 2005 00:33 #172757 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Really sad news.<br><br>I met Carl at the "geschmozzel" race this past Spring and was impressed by his big spirit and humble attitude. Rocketing down the Muir Snowfield neck and neck with a Hummel...now that's living! How'd he do that?<br><br>Lowell, it was neat for me to see you and Carl interacting in your element as brothers. It left me wishing that my brother and I had such a connection in the mountains.<br><br>The post geschmozzel dinner at the Copper Creek brought good times as I watched Carl shamelessly graze fries off platters, batting clean up and making sure not a potato part went to waste. It was a goofy little thing, but as my girlfriend would say, it was cute and sweet.<br><br>I didn't know Carl beyond these brief experiences and seeing his published works, but from what I can see, his was a life well lived. My condolences to the entire Skoog family.

• kuharicm
  • [kuharicm]
More
22 Oct 2005 03:12 #172761 by kuharicm
Replied by kuharicm on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Lowell, I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. My condolences to you and to Carl's family and friends. <br><br>Both you and your brother are an inspiration to other aspiring adventurers and role models on how to live as genuine good people.<br>-Matt

• Sam Avaiusini
  • [savaiusini]
More
22 Oct 2005 04:08 - 25 Oct 2005 09:26 #172762 by Sam Avaiusini
Replied by Sam Avaiusini on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Let's also not forget about Rene and what he must be going through in this sad time. ÊI can't imagine the saddness and helplessness he must be experiencing ???<br><br><br>[Note: I have moved this photo over to the photo tribute thread - Charles]

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Oct 2005 06:43 #172765 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(

Let's also not forget about Rene and what he must be going through in this sad time.  I can't imagine the saddness and helplessness he must be experiencing ???

<br><br>Thanks for remembering Rene, Sam. He called me this morning to pass along the news that Carl and his things have been recovered. Rene has been a prince through all of this, even though he's been on the sharp end of the experience. I see why Carl was his friend.<br><br>Since the news has travelled faster through the internet than any other way, my family has been very interested in the comments on the various discussion boards. It has been a comfort to Carl's mother and his siblings that so many people around the country cared about him.

More
22 Oct 2005 11:54 - 22 Oct 2005 13:09 #172767 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
I didn't really know Carl, and being the same age as his brother Gordy, always thought of him as something of a young kid - certainly too young to die.<br><br>His photography, though, spoke volumes - I remember standing in a super market in Marina del Rey, during a period of self-imposed exile from skiing, and feeling an electric jolt pass through my body as I stared at an exquisite magazine cover shot by Carl that brought the joy of skiing back to me in a single, powerful instant.<br><br>My condolences to the Skoog family and all those who will never see another new Carl Skoog photo.

More
22 Oct 2005 16:56 #172768 by kam
dear Lowell and Family: my deepest condolences. i heard the sad, sad news about Carl shortly after i landed at SEATAC Friday evening. it was certainly a shock!<br><br>Carl was very talented and his work will continue to inspire.<br><br>kam

• jessegoosman
  • [jessegoosman]
More
23 Oct 2005 08:09 #172772 by jessegoosman
Replied by jessegoosman on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Over the past ten years I have had the privilage to call Carl one of my friends. Not only a friend and skiing partner but mentor as well. I have spent countless days skiing with Skoog and Rene and consider both a part of the Goosman family. Carl was not only an amazing skier/mountianeer/photographer but an amazing friend that will be greatly missed. It just won't be the same not seeing Carl's gear packed car in the parking lot and knowing you were going to have a great day skiing just because Carl was there. I will never forget Carl's forever positive attitude no matter the conditions or situtation. Carl was a man who truley loved and lived life to its fullest. I am honered to have known Carl as well as I did and am at peace knowing that he died doing what he loved. Carl we will all miss you and we will see you up on top. May your turns always be deep. Thanks for being my friend! Jesse

• JKordel
  • [Alpentrol]
More
23 Oct 2005 09:26 #172773 by JKordel
Replied by JKordel on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Dear Lowell - <br><br>So very sad to hear of the loss of your brother. May Carl's enthusiasm and zest for life's natural beauty help pull your family through this difficult time.<br><br>Although I only spent one day with Carl - at this years Geschmozzel - his presence left quite an impression on me. Watching one of us "old guys" speed out into the front field of the race, full tuck down the Muir snowfield I was filled with a mixture of excitement, fear and awe. No doubt Carl experienced life to its very fullest.<br><br>His spirit will continue to inspire.<br><br>Jan Kordel

• lapaz25
  • [lapaz25]
More
23 Oct 2005 10:31 #172774 by lapaz25
Replied by lapaz25 on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Lowell & Rene,<br><br>My condolences, as well. There was a large group of us on Muir yesterday. Our thoughts were with Carl and at the end of the day, we all gathered in the parking lot and stated, "Today was for Carl". Our hearts are with his family and friends and we are comforted by knowing that he passed doing something he loved dearly.<br><br>~Lara

More
23 Oct 2005 12:42 #172776 by Darryl
Replied by Darryl on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Lowell and Rene - I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a Brother and a best friend.<br><br>Carl's work and spirit will live forever.

• JCrawshaw
  • [JCrawshaw]
More
23 Oct 2005 15:17 #172777 by JCrawshaw
Replied by JCrawshaw on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Lowell and Family - Words cannot express my heart felt sadness for your loss. <br>When I think about Carl I remember the many times together in the Cabin at Snowline, the excitement and passion in his eyes and voice when he would show me the many slides of his adventures on the mountain. Carl was always the first to offer his gear when I needed a spare pair of gloves etc. He will be forever a part of our lives!<br>....To my husband Rene - I pray for your safe return home and want you to know my love is with you always!<br>May your adventures and memories with Carl always be tucked in your heart and guide you as you lay fresh tracks in the mountains. <br> Jean XO

• garyabrill
  • [garyabrill]
More
23 Oct 2005 16:40 #172779 by garyabrill
Replied by garyabrill on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Carl and I go back quite a ways; as I recall, our first experience might have been a somewhat pathetic ski trip near Baker the week before Thanksgiving, 1976. I think it was Carl, Lowell and I who made the mistake of camping in a north facing bowl on a cold winter weekend. It was so chilly because of the campsite choice, we only got out of our tents for about 6 hours mid-day. That trip went a long ways towards curing me of mid-winter snow camps. Over the years, Carl increasingly became a close friend - although sharing meals with him on an outing was risky business - he had a voracious appetite. That misgiving was offset by his genuine enthusiasm for the out of doors, his balanced perspective when things got tough, and his ready laugh and smile. <br><br>Carl shared with me his enthusiasm for photography and taught me virtually all I know about the technical aspects of that endeavor, spending time explaining various techniques in the field and answering patiently what must have seemed like a never ending string of questions over the phone about photos and computers. His enthusiasm led me to my first desert trip in 1991. Carl was the one friend I felt I could comfortably share a backcountry photography trip with; he was the one person I could often call on short notice for many different types of outings involving cross-country hiking and skiing. He was often a cut-up, enjoyed laughing, and we had many great laughs and great times in the mountains.<br><br>Now, his spirit will always be in the peaks for me, and I feel I have lost one of my most enthusiastic partners. But, it isn't me I feel for; I wish I could bring him back. But I can't. His brothers and their mates, sisters, mother, and nephews have lost a very fun family member; his brothers Gordy and Lowell more than that. He was a great companion. Carl, we won't forget you.

More
23 Oct 2005 17:39 #172780 by allyson
Replied by allyson on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
dear lowell and family,<br>though i did not know carl personally, after reading these posts i am awed and amazed by the impact one person can have on a community. what a terrible, terrible loss. my thoughts are with you and your family, and with rene and his.<br><br>allyson

More
24 Oct 2005 02:44 #172781 by Dave_R
Replied by Dave_R on topic Re: Carl Skoog
Lowell, Steph, & Tom,<br><br>My thoughts are with you and the rest of the Skoog clan. Carl has left us a legacy written in the snows.<br><br>-Dave R

More
24 Oct 2005 09:26 #172783 by NickD
Replied by NickD on topic Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
Sincere condolences to Lowell, Gordy, family, and all his close friends. Thanks for the picture Lowell as it seemed every time I ran into him he had the large camera bag yet still could ski rings around anyone. Of the several presentations he gave I most remember the one regarding the Mowich first descent. Self belaying on 45 degree firm slope with 3000' of air below and changing lenses and rolls with the other hand--whew. <br>Is it too early to suggest a tour to be named after Carl?