telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
03/28/17, 04:25 PM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Super sad news - Carl Skoog dies :(
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super sad news - Carl Skoog dies :(  (Read 20558 times)
Jeff Huber

Super sad news - Carl Skoog dies :(
« on: 10/21/05, 08:16 AM »

This is from ttips news
10/21-- American climbing and ski mountaineering legend Carl Skoog was reportedly killed Monday in an accident on the South Face of 6,670m Mt. Mercedario in Argentina, according to a report in a local paper, Diario de Cuyo. The article reports that Carl fell while skiing down a 60 degree slope at around 4,000m. He was apparently unable to arrest, and hit his head on a rock outcropping. Rene Crawshaw, Skoog's frequent climbing partner, reportedly told authorities that they had just begun a third descent on the mountain (it's unclear but it would seem likely this was a third "stage" on the overall descent, rather than a yo-yo) when the fall took place. As this tragic story continues to unfold we will update as more information becomes available. The Telemarktips crew extends its sincere condolences to his brother Lowell, as well as the rest of the Skoog family, and his many friends.

I usually am unemotional but this news is deeply saddening my spirit. I'm so sorry Lowell and family.
« Last Edit: 10/25/05, 08:46 AM by admin » Logged

ron j

Re: Super sad news - Carl Skoog killed :(
« Reply #1 on: 10/21/05, 08:28 AM »

Wow.
Bummer.
My heartfelt condolences to all Carl's friends and loved ones.  Words cannot describe how shocked and saddened I am by this news.  The world is now going to be shy one hell of a good writer/photographer/ski mounaineer.  
You're right, Jeff, it is definately, bad, bad news.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #2 on: 10/21/05, 08:37 AM »

As news of Carl's death spreads on the web today, I thought I should post a short summary of what I know, based on my conversation with Carl's climbing partner, Rene Crawshaw. On behalf of Carl's family, I'd like to thank the readers of this board for their words of support.

On October 17, 2005, my brother Carl Skoog died in a mountaineering accident on Cerro Mercedario (6777 m, 22210 ft) in the high Andes of Argentina.  Carl was climbing and skiing with his friend Rene Crawshaw of Chilliwack, B.C. Their trip plan was to revisit and document the country described in the 1975 book by Piers Paul Read, "Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors," about a 1972 plane crash involving a Uruguayan rugby team.

Carl and Rene had already climbed a peak called Cerro Negro.  That climb and descent went well.  After climbing Cerro Negro, they established a camp at 14,500 feet on Cerro Mercedario.  After some weather delays, they climbed the south face of Mercedario and established a higher camp at about 20,000 feet.  They spent three nights at the high camp and during this period they made a successful one-day climb to the summit and back.  Rene said that he and Carl were both doing well at altitude.

Around mid-morning on October 17, they began their descent from high camp.  According to Rene, they were working their way down a 42-degree snow slope when Carl's fall occurred.  The snow texture was uneven and they were side-slipping on skis at the time.  Carl may have struck a hidden rock or other obstacle, but there is no way to know for sure.  He attempted to arrest his fall but was not successful.  He struck some rocks, and Rene thought he may have lost consciousness at that point.  Carl ultimately tumbled 4500 vertical feet.  Rene descended over a period of several hours and located Carl's body, confirming that he had died.

Cerro Mercedario is in remote country, and it took Rene 1-1/2 days to hike out for assistance.  The U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires notified Carl's family on October 20 and on the same day a military party on foot and with mules left to recover Carl's body.  The recovery is expected to take three days.

Lowell Skoog
Seattle, WA
Sam Avaiusini

Carl Skoog
« Reply #3 on: 10/21/05, 09:02 AM »

The Cascades have lost a true pioneer. Our local hills will feel a certain emptiness without Carl. A class act in the truest sense, my heart is with the entire Skoog family in this very sad time. I'm sure that despite his passing in South America, Carl Skoog's spirit will live on in our corner of the world as well as the many other places his adventures took him.
We can rest easier knowing he died living the good life.
« Last Edit: 10/21/05, 09:07 AM by savaiusini » Logged

Sam Avaiusini
Monika

« Reply #4 on: 10/21/05, 09:19 AM »

Dear Lowell,

Such sad shocking news !!

My deepest condolences to you, your family and Carl's other loved ones--it's so hard to lose a loved one suddenly without being able to say good bye.

-Monika
« Last Edit: 10/22/05, 04:45 AM by Monika » Logged
skip

« Reply #5 on: 10/21/05, 10:15 AM »

Lowell - I'm so terribly sorry for you and your family.  As I mentioned to some friends, I knew the name Carl Skoog through his photography well before moving to the Northwest.  He had true talent.

My deepest condolences,
-s
Paul Belitz

« Reply #6 on: 10/21/05, 10:29 AM »

I can't say anything beyond what others have said already. Very sad.
Daniel
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 10/21/05, 11:16 AM »

When I was living in Wisconsin and dreaming of moving west, I was reading stories of the Skoog brothers exploits in the Cascades. These stories and the pictures were a big part of my enventual move out here.

To Lowell and the rest of the Skoogs and their friends I send my sincere condolances. Carl will be missed by the whole of the climbing and skiing community.
ajjenkin
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 10/21/05, 11:18 AM »

Lowell - Shocked to hear this kind of news.  My deepest sympahties go out to you and your family.  Be strong!
Mad_Dog

« Reply #9 on: 10/21/05, 12:06 PM »

My deepest sympathy to the Skoog famlies, and friends during this trying time.  

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
sheispiste

« Reply #10 on: 10/21/05, 12:22 PM »

Lowell,
I am saddened by this shocking news. May we all continue to be awed by his photographic talents. May his memory remain a blessing. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Jessica

any day in the mountains is a good day in the mountains
Joedabaker

« Reply #11 on: 10/21/05, 01:27 PM »

Deepest sympathy to all family and friends.
Randy

« Reply #12 on: 10/21/05, 03:35 PM »

May his memory always be for a blessing.
Paul_Russell

« Reply #13 on: 10/21/05, 03:44 PM »

Lowell,
I'm so saddened to hear of Carl's death and the loss to you and your family. Thank you for posting the information about the incident. It is certainly a sad day for all of us in the skiing and climbing community to lose Carl. My deepest sympathies.
-Paul

« Last Edit: 10/21/05, 03:46 PM by Paul_Russell » Logged
Charles

« Reply #14 on: 10/21/05, 05:06 PM »

I was away skiing today and was shocked to read this news when I got back. The only time I met Carl was when I took a glacier course on the south side of Baker, soon after I moved here. Carl was one of the instructors and was very good - I learned a lot. I have really enjoyed reading about Carl's skiing adventures and seeing his excellent photography. Lowell, I'm so sorry to learn of this and hope you and your family are doing OK.
JibberD

« Reply #15 on: 10/22/05, 12:33 AM »

Really sad news.

I met Carl at the "geschmozzel" race this past Spring and was impressed by his big spirit and humble attitude.  Rocketing down the Muir Snowfield neck and neck with a Hummel...now that's living!  How'd he do that?

Lowell, it was neat for me to see you and Carl interacting in your element as brothers.  It left me wishing that my brother and I had such a connection in the mountains.

The post geschmozzel dinner at the Copper Creek brought good times as I watched Carl shamelessly graze fries off platters, batting clean up and making sure not a potato part went to waste.  It was a goofy little thing, but as my girlfriend would say, it was cute and sweet.

I didn't know Carl beyond these brief experiences and seeing his published works, but from what I can see, his was a life well lived.  My condolences to the entire Skoog family.

-Doug O
kuharicm

« Reply #16 on: 10/22/05, 03:12 AM »

Lowell, I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. My condolences to you and to Carl's family and friends.

Both you and your brother are an inspiration to other aspiring adventurers and role models on how to live as genuine good people.
-Matt
Sam Avaiusini

« Reply #17 on: 10/22/05, 04:08 AM »

Let's also not forget about Rene and what he must be going through in this sad time. I can't imagine the saddness and helplessness he must be experiencing Huh

[Note: I have moved this photo over to the photo tribute thread - Charles]
« Last Edit: 10/25/05, 09:26 AM by admin » Logged

Sam Avaiusini
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #18 on: 10/22/05, 06:43 AM »

Let's also not forget about Rene and what he must be going through in this sad time. I can't imagine the saddness and helplessness he must be experiencing Huh

Thanks for remembering Rene, Sam. He called me this morning to pass along the news that Carl and his things have been recovered. Rene has been a prince through all of this, even though he's been on the sharp end of the experience. I see why Carl was his friend.

Since the news has travelled faster through the internet than any other way, my family has been very interested in the comments on the various discussion boards. It has been a comfort to Carl's mother and his siblings that so many people around the country cared about him.
gregL

« Reply #19 on: 10/22/05, 11:54 AM »

I didn't really know Carl, and being the same age as his brother Gordy, always thought of him as something of a young kid - certainly too young to die.

His photography, though, spoke volumes - I remember standing in a super market in Marina del Rey, during a period of self-imposed exile from skiing, and feeling an electric jolt pass through my body as I stared at an exquisite magazine cover shot by Carl that brought the joy of skiing back to me in a single, powerful instant.

My condolences to the Skoog family and all those who will never see another new Carl Skoog photo.
« Last Edit: 10/22/05, 01:09 PM by gregL » Logged
kam

« Reply #20 on: 10/22/05, 04:56 PM »

dear Lowell and Family:  my deepest condolences.  i heard the sad, sad news about Carl shortly after i landed at SEATAC Friday evening.  it was certainly a shock!

Carl was very talented and his work will continue to inspire.

kam

What do you mean you didn't bring skis?
jessegoosman
1Member

« Reply #21 on: 10/23/05, 08:09 AM »

Over the past ten years I have had the privilage to call Carl one of my friends. Not only a friend and skiing partner but mentor as well. I have spent countless days skiing with Skoog and Rene and consider both a part of the Goosman family. Carl was not only an amazing skier/mountianeer/photographer but an amazing friend that will be greatly missed. It just won't be the same not seeing Carl's gear packed car in the parking lot and knowing you were going to have a great day skiing just because Carl was there. I will never forget Carl's forever positive attitude no matter the conditions or situtation. Carl was a man who truley loved and lived life to its fullest. I am honered to have known Carl as well as I did and am at peace knowing that he died doing what he loved. Carl we will all miss you and we will see you up on top. May your turns always be deep. Thanks for being my friend! Jesse
JKordel
5Member

« Reply #22 on: 10/23/05, 09:26 AM »

Dear Lowell -

So very sad to hear of the loss of your brother. May Carl's enthusiasm and zest for life's natural beauty help pull your family through this difficult time.

Although I only spent one day with Carl - at this years Geschmozzel - his presence left quite an impression on me. Watching one of us "old guys" speed out into the front field of the race, full tuck down the Muir snowfield I was filled with a mixture of excitement, fear and awe. No doubt Carl experienced life to its very fullest.

His spirit will continue to inspire.

Jan Kordel
lapaz25

« Reply #23 on: 10/23/05, 10:31 AM »

Lowell & Rene,

My condolences, as well.  There was a large group of us on Muir yesterday.  Our thoughts were with Carl and at the end of the day, we all gathered in the parking lot and stated, "Today was for Carl".  Our hearts are with his family and friends and we are comforted by knowing that he passed doing something he loved dearly.

~Lara

Skiing: When grit meets grace and power embraces passion.
Darryl

« Reply #24 on: 10/23/05, 12:42 PM »

Lowell and Rene - I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a Brother and a best friend.

Carl's work and spirit will live forever.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.