Home > Trip Reports > October 26, 2014, - Pebble Creek

October 26, 2014, - Pebble Creek

10/26/14
Posted by freightrainer on 10/27/14 2:43am
We were one of the 10 or so cars that made it to Paradise before the park service discovered that they left the gate open by mistake - My theory anyway. The drive up was interesting. My biggest concern was that my Subie was going to get high centered on the 10" and getting deeper snow on the road. The whole way up I was thinking "finally, they've decided let drivers take a little personal responsibility for their actions - great change!"
I'm sure that I even saw a sign that read "chains OR all wheel drive cars".
We were greeted at the Paradise parking lot by a Ranger with his lights flashing who looked happy to see us and just wanted us to park in a line so the plows could do their work.
We skinned past Pebble Creek where we waited for the weather window that never happened.
Windy up there and a complete white-out:
http://youtu.be/gSV4El9kAFo
We made a couple of turns on the way down but it was pretty much a bust as far as the skiing went.
The drive up was the high point of the day.
The road was clear and the parking lot 75% plowed when we headed down at 2:30.

Thanks for the TR and for the video. That video's worth many words for communicating that the Snowfield can be inhospitable and disorienting.

looks like a blustery day.  I wonder if you ran into jtack up there?  I'm glad you got to ski.  Thanks for the report and photos!

I've had one of those days in October, as well.  It's all about knowing when the pull the plug.

Reply to this TR

october-26-2014-pebble-creek
freightrainer
2014-10-27 09:43:57