Home > Trip Reports > October 19, 2014, Mt Hood, Palmer Snowfield

October 19, 2014, Mt Hood, Palmer Snowfield

10/19/14
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 10/20/14 5:46am
Palmer...again...I keep trying to build time for something more exciting.

TLine is not operating.  They did give it a go first weekend of October - so I guess they get to keep their '12-Month' season claim, but I imagine it was ugly.

Some wet fresh on the upper snowfield and an ugly, muddy, and slippery hand carry down the moraine at Palmer midway.  The canyon runs out at Mile / Palmer shacks, leaving a walk back down the Mile.  I hate the down after the up and ski.

Three other skiers, one boarder, and a few hikers.  No mountain operations folks, except one basket working on a Mile sheave train.     

Not the bleakest October, but not a pow day either.  Thought shorts and tee climbs were over, but I was comfortable in just a base layer.  Need some snow...

October 2014 - 6 Years TAY

Cheers.
FWIW I skied Palmer lift-served when Timberline was open the first weekend in Oct.  The surface wasn't bad at all, a few inches of new rolled on top of of somewhat dirty glacier.  While the groomed conditions were excellent, by the end of the weekend you really had to pick your lines carefully, are you would pumice-grind your bases on old snow.

Much scarier-looking 2 weeks later, although the Palmer proper looks like it still has some white-covered strips on it.

Thanks for the report!

I was also up there Saturday and was surprised how many people were out trudging up the hill to slide on snow. It must have been the awesome weather because it certainly wasn't the snow quality or quantity that drew people out. Saw about 6 or 7 skiers and as many or more on snowboards.

I also brought the mt bike along and got a ride down the Timberline to Town and Pioneer Bridal Trails.

121 months for me.

author=OldHouseMan link=topic=32411.msg135857#msg135857 date=1413945356]
121 months for me.

At the youthful age of 41?  You a badass!

Reply to this TR

october-19-2014-mt-hood-palmer-snowfield
Hawthorne
2014-10-20 12:46:18