Home > Trip Reports > Oct 19, 2014, MRNP, Another Muir report

Oct 19, 2014, MRNP, Another Muir report

10/19/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kenji on 10/20/14 3:12am
A bunch of TAYers, Oyvind, Amar, ex-Marmot crew and more, there must be over 100 skiers! Actually maybe about 2 dozens. Below Pebble Cr is all clear of new snow, so there is no need for rock skis.  The top 1000' was mix of chalky and rain crust, then nice Spring corn.  Very windy and cold near the camp. 

More pics here.
Was there a little later. Right around 3PM a scraper cloud came through and very suddenly whited out the upper snowfield. Really spooky how fast that can happen when the winds are commuting the surrounding clouds in not easy to anticipate directions, and what looks like a high layer suddenly merges with mists forming out of nothing from below. Amar had the right timing; saw him descending just before that cloud showed up. Kept going and hoped for viz again, which did happen 20 min. later. I ended up chickening out and bailing before reaching camp though, for fear that another similar cloud coming would white it out again (and of course it didn't and stayed mostly decent rest of day, so later regret ensued.)

Amazing how many summer style tourists there were on the Paradise trails, the remarkably warm day (below) must have drawn them out. It was NOT warm on the snowfield with that wind, multiple layers needed.

It's always great to see that Kenji has a new TR posted. Love the photography, Kenji!

I think you mis-typed the post header, it should read 'another set of shit-kicking photos', please excuse my French.
Very fine.

Reply to this TR

oct-19-2014-mrnp-another-muir-report
Kenji
2014-10-20 10:12:47