Home > Trip Reports > October 1, Muir snowfield (A very late post)

October 1, Muir snowfield (A very late post)

10/1/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skibum on 10/17/14 3:08pm
Sorry for the very late post, the last few weeks have been quite busy...

It was my Belgian friends 26th birthday and he was leaving to head to Mexico the next day. He had been staying with my folks doing the WWOOFing program (worldwide opportunities on organic farms) for the past two weeks. He kept talking about how huge Mt Rainier was and how he has never seen a mountain even close to Rainiers size. I proposed the plan to take him up to camp Muir the next day, and he immediately agreed!

We left Vashon island at 0700 the next morning and were hiking away from the truck at roughly 0930, not bad! We stopped numerous times for him to enjoy the scenery( clouds) and roll a cigarette (he regretted that later)...

We went up to just short of camp Muir as the snow was seeming to get worse up towards muir. Plopped down, made a sandwich, and took in the incredible views from above the inversion layer. He was very impressed with the views. I put the ski boots back on and he started his descent, part standing part sitting glissade. I was able to make some nice turns on some nice snow to start off my October and share a little bit of the northwest with somebody who was incredibly stoked about it. All in all, a great day!

Per tradition, we stopped on the way back and had a burger and beer and enjoyed the stares as others we no doubt wondering how we were sunburnt on a rainy day.

Here is a little video of the descent!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XArWbTQe6XE&list=UUa30t5K809MY7q-KsCCfgFQ
Cool trip to share with those from other countries.

Reply to this TR

october-1-muir-snowfield-a-very-late-post
skibum
2014-10-17 22:08:39