Home > Trip Reports > October 16, 2014, Hyas Glacier on Daniel

October 16, 2014, Hyas Glacier on Daniel

10/16/14
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 10/16/14 2:18pm
Once again we can see snow on the Enchantment peaks from town.  I thought I could time the storms to get Wednesday's snow before Friday's rain, and by dumb luck I hit it just right.  The trail to Peggy's Pond was moist but my shoes stayed dry.  The rocks between Peggy's Pond and the Hyas Glacier were snow covered, but not enough to make travel ugly.  And the glacier was covered with just the right amount and right consistency snow to make the low angle fun to ski.

Here's what the skiing looked like:

Looks like fun doesn't it?  I couldn't believe it was so good.  Here is a little video that shows just how happy I was to be skiing fresh snow:   

https://vimeo.com/109205817   

I made 4 full laps with one little repeat at the top for a 5th transition.  Man what a day.  I tried to talk Jtack into joining me but his faith in my luck was low. 

Here are some pretty fall views that I saw on the way in and out:

Peggy's Pond:

The moonscape above Peggy's Pond:

Deep Lake:

Mt Stuart:

Squaw Lake:

And my lunch :)
You definitely deserved those turns ;) 

Just a slight bit jealous...and got more so after watching the video!  Looks like you timed it perfectly! 

Those sangos need mayo!

Nice going Mike, good snow, great pictures, and all I got for staying home was a flat ass!

Great name for a glacier.  Makes sense.

Rad, thanks for the pics & share!

Wow, good stuff!

Nice post..YOU REALLY HIT MONEY!

Curious how you took the videos.

Did you start the camera and depend on having a big enough memory card, or do you have some sort of remote control?

The conditions looked surprisingly good.

Thanks!

Lowell my point and shoot (Casio Exilim ZR1000) will record about 35 minutes of video on the FHD setting which is pretty decent resolution.  I don't know if the limit is based on file size or a camera setting, but the battery will still read full after doing this a couple times.  The card I use is 32GB.  I don't ever run out of space.  The biggest file size from this trip was 1.74 GB and it was 16 minutes long.  I use a pocket size bendy tripod for stuff like this.

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=32392.msg135801#msg135801 date=1413665550]
Curious how you took the videos.

Did you start the camera and depend on having a big enough memory card, or do you have some sort of remote control?

The conditions looked surprisingly good.

Thanks!

author=mikerolfs link=topic=32392.msg135811#msg135811 date=1413682083]
The card I use is 32GB.  I don't ever run out of space.  The biggest file size from this trip was 1.74 GB and it was 16 minutes long.  I use a pocket size bendy tripod for stuff like this.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I just looked at some of my recent videos (not skiing) and they run about 1GB for 8 minutes of video. I carry two 32GB cards when I'm videoing my son's jazz band, just in case.

Those bendy tripods are great.

author=mikerolfs link=topic=32392.msg135811#msg135811 date=1413682083]
Lowell my point and shoot (Casio Exilim ZR1000) will record about 35 minutes of video on the FHD setting which is pretty decent resolution.  I don't know if the limit is based on file size or a camera setting, but the battery will still read full after doing this a couple times. 

After thinking about it a little more, I'm pretty sure the limit is due to the FAT32 file system used on most SD cards. FAT32 is an old Microsoft format that remains in use because it can be read by just about any computer system.

The catch is that the maximum size of any single FAT32 file is 4GB. So when you hit the limit during a video, the camera will stop recording. That sounds consistent with what you reported.

If you take a few minutes of video with any camera and look at the resulting file size, you can calculate approximately what your maximum single-shot recording time would be, based on the 4GB limit.

yes I can confirm the upper limit of video files is the FAT32 max size of 4gb. For a video of the type Mike posted up a good work around would be a timelapse sticking a bunch of still frames together. Depending on camera type and available addons, this can require an additional wired controller (intervalometer) - but some cameras you can now do it with software hacks for no extra weight:) Only reason I still lug a Canon around.....

Mike, you really are my hero.

Loved hearing your shouts again... It's time!

Mike is my hero this time as well! What a great and bold choice at this time of year! I still remember his cumnavigation of Mount Stuart, however...  :'(

After seeing this I am intrigued about this trip. How far is the hike to the glacier?

author=Timbo link=topic=32392.msg135895#msg135895 date=1414214027]
After seeing this I am intrigued about this trip. How far is the hike to the glacier?

Timbo it is in the neighborhood of 5 miles to Peggy's Pond and another mile or so to the bottom of the glacier.  With the new snow we just got, you might be able to skin from Peggy's Pond now, but probably not ski back to it.  I think there still is not enough snow to ski safely except where there is remnant snow or glacier.

Thanks for the info! I think we are going to give it a shot tomorrow.

Reply to this TR

october-16-2014-hyas-glacier-on-daniel
mikerolfs
2014-10-16 21:18:12