Home > Trip Reports > Oct 1. Muir

Oct 1. Muir

10/1/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jake the Brit on 10/1/14 3:23pm
There's a load of lovely snow on the Muir snowfield.
It starts at 7600' and goes (probably all the way up) to Muir where it gets a bit wind-board, but not much & it's all white like snow ought to be and the bumps are all filled in.
Probably 2-3" at the bottom up to 6" towards Muir. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Rock on.

Also, we found a couple of lost day-hikers wandering around in the cloud, lost. It was a solid reminder to take compass & map, the top of the cloud deck was at 8000'. Nice above though.

Nice work gents. I believe I met you up there last year, Jake. Amar and I ventured out yesterday and saw your tracks and thought it looked like whiteout navigation. I think Amar will be writing something up.

Excellent.
tangentially.... I also I wonder if it's possible to exact an analysis of the coming season?

Skied a sunset lap from Anvil to Pebble via the Paradise Gl. on Friday 10/3.  Still fun skiing on the smooth cornyish old/new. With heavy hearts we shared a toast with the ravens for our lost brothers and sisters.

that last photo is Rad! way to get after it.

author=Jake the Brit link=topic=32321.msg135615#msg135615 date=1412402210]
Excellent.
tangentially.... I also I wonder if it's possible to exact an analysis of the coming season?

I am no expert but I fear it's going to be repeat of last season, at least from the outset (late fall - early winter).  According to Clif Mass' blog, elements that made for a relatively dry early season last year continue to be in place at least for now: tendency for establishment of persistent ridge west of us preventing storms coming on shore and a "blob" of warm water in eastern Pacific warming up air moving east across the ocean towards us.  I really hope someone more knowledgeable will correct me, or that it's just too soon to tell and things will turn more positive for us skiers.

Great report and great photos, Jake--thanks!

--Peter

Reply to this TR

oct-1-muir
Jake the Brit
2014-10-01 22:23:57