Washington Ski Museum seeks your help

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Sep 2014 17:46 #221125 by Lowell_Skoog
Washington Ski Museum seeks your help was created by Lowell_Skoog

I am working with a group of volunteers to launch a new Washington State Ski and Snowboard Museum (WSSSM) at Snoqualmie Pass. The museum will be located in a new development opposite the Summit Inn at the top of the pass. Background information can be found on the museum's website here:

www.wsssm.org/

The officers of the new museum are President Dave Moffett (former owner of the Snoqualmie Summit ski area), Vice President Dollie Armstrong, and Secretary Hugh Armstrong.  (The Armstrongs are the parents of 1984 Olympic gold medalist Debbie Armstrong.)

The museum will include exhibits on a variety of topics including Washington ski areas, elite competitors, equipment manufacturers, personalities, ski jumping and cross-country skiing, and more. Exhibits will consist of photographs, historic artifacts, and interactive displays.

My role in the museum is to develop an exhibit devoted to backcountry skiing and ski mountaineering. For this effort, I'm gathering equipment and photographs from three eras of Washington skiing: 1930s-50s, 1960s-80s, and 1990s-2010s. The idea is for the ski mountaineering exhibit to display representative equipment from each of these periods together with photographs and interactive multi-media displays.

I'm posting now in search of equipment, particularly from the middle period from the 1960s through 1980s. I'd particularly like to showcase equipment representing the telemark renaissance of the 1970s and 1980s. For example:
  • Telemark skis and bindings
  • Climbing skins
  • Leather telemark boots
  • Ski poles from this period
  • Period clothing (like early GoreTex, smelly polypro or whatever  ;) )
  • Mountaineering gear (i.e. backpack and ice axe)

The museum seeks gear on either a donated or loaned basis. While I'm focusing now on gear from the middle period (1960s-80s), I would be eager to hear from you if you can help me locate equipment from either of the other periods.

I'm also actively seeking photographs from all of these periods. I'm off to a pretty good start, but would be eager to talk to anyone who'd like to offer more photographs for the museum to consider.

To follow up, you can contact me at lowell DOT skoog AT alpenglow DOT org.

The Washington State Ski and Snowboard Museum committee is working toward an opening date of March/April 2015. I expect to post here from time to time to provide updates and seek more help. If you think you can help with artifacts, photos, or in any other way, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Dec 2014 22:01 #223394 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Washington Ski Museum seeks your help
The Washington State Ski and Snowboard Museum is taking shape at Snoqualmie Pass. See: www.wsssm.org/

I need help to find some modern gear for the museum's ski mountaineering exhibit. You can see some of the older gear I've gathered below.

The exhibit will have a large monitor with historic movies and photos, as well as artifacts from three eras: 1920s-50s, 1960s-90s, and 2000+. The artifacts will include skis, skins, poles, boots, pack, ice axe, and avalanche safety gear.

I've got most of the gear figured out, but I still need to find the following:

+ A pair of 2000s-era alpine touring skis (K2 Mt Baker skis would be perfect)
+ A 2000s-era ice axe (a curved or ultralight axe would be ideal)

If you can help me find these items (for loan, donation, or cheap), please let me know. (I've been in touch with K2 for some Mt Baker skis, but I'm not sure they will be able to find any, since they've been out of production for a while. I like the Mt Baker skis, with their Salish artwork, because they really say "Washington.")

More
02 Jan 2015 09:35 #223411 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Re: Washington Ski Museum seeks your help
I have a pair of the red Rossignol Haute Route skis that were manufactured in the 70's for powder skiers.
I had them mounted with a pair of cable tele bindings for several years, Rottfefella's if I remember correctly. The skis are in great shape with the holes from the alpine and then the tele bindings.
If you would have a use for them I can give them to you.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2015 11:24 #223422 by Lowell_Skoog

I have a pair of the red Rossignol Haute Route skis that were manufactured in the 70's for powder skiers.
If you would have a use for them I can give them to you.

Thanks for your offer, filbo. For better or worse, I don't have a need for those skis right now.

I'm still looking for a pair of K2 Mt Baker skis (with Salish graphics). I have an offer of a pair of K2 Mt Shuksans, which I will snap up if I don't find some Mt Baker skis. The only reason for preferring the Mt Bakers is that they are wider, which is a quality of today's skis that I mention in the exhibit text.

Thanks again.

• Garth_Ferber
  • [Garth_Ferber]
More
07 Jan 2015 11:32 #223468 by Garth_Ferber
Replied by Garth_Ferber on topic Re: Washington Ski Museum seeks your help
Hey! I'm still skiing on my Bakers!

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
07 Jan 2015 15:03 #223471 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: Washington Ski Museum seeks your help

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Jan 2015 15:35 #223559 by Lowell_Skoog
Just wanted to mention that my requests for a modern ice axe and a pair of K2 Mt Baker skis have both been fulfilled. So no need for more replies. Many thanks to the community!

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Jan 2015 19:43 #223564 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Washington Ski Museum seeks your help
Lowell, did you see this 16mm videos from 1927 of the Mountaineers?   I'd bet it would be fun to view converted to digital format if anyone has the cash and time to do so. I'm a poor man these days so don't have the extra cash to do so but thought I'd let you know about it if you hadn't seen it.

www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-16mm-FILM-1927-...&hash=item3cf04cda7c

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Jan 2015 12:52 #223573 by Lowell_Skoog

Lowell, did you see this 16mm videos from 1927 of the Mountaineers?   I'd bet it would be fun to view converted to digital format if anyone has the cash and time to do so. I'm a poor man these days so don't have the extra cash to do so but thought I'd let you know about it if you hadn't seen it.   

Thanks for the note.

Actually, I was contacted a week or two ago by the guy who is offering that film for sale. He offered to sell it to the Mountaineers.

It appears that this is roughly the same film as one the Mountaineers donated to UW a couple years ago. I was surprised to learn that there was more than one copy of this film.

You can now see clips from this and other outing films of the Mountaineers on the UW Special Collections website :

The guy with the ebay film says his copy is a bit different than the Mountaineers copy. I don't know if that's true. Ultimately, the club doesn't have a budget for buying stuff like this. But donations are always welcome.