Home > Forum > Utah/Colorado safe solo ski tours

Utah/Colorado safe solo ski tours

• Timstirling
  • [Timstirling]
More
25 Sep 2014 12:33 #222691 by Timstirling
Utah/Colorado safe solo ski tours was created by Timstirling
After a few winters in Oregon I have moved to Virginia and my skiing consist of a few long weekends out west :-(
Just starting to plan some trips and looking for advice on safe ski tours in UT/CO that could be done solo. i have a lot of experience torung but not much with a continental snow pack.

I will keep things conservative and I don't need steep&deep when out touring. I just want to enjoy the mountains and find easy/safe tours that could earn 3-4K vertical, or safe spots to yo-yo.

i will do plenty of research myself but it is hard to find recommendations for safe solo tours. I guess it is hard to define what is safe when solo but something with easily manageable avalanche risk, minimal exposure, is not super remote etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
26 Sep 2014 19:57 #222702 by MW88888888
Replied by MW88888888 on topic Re: Utah/Colorado safe solo ski tours
Hi tim- be very careful.  A continental snowpack happens like this:

1.  early snow in sept/oct
2.  Dry cold conditions in early winter = hoar on the ground
3.  Lots more snow on top of death marbles

Generally.

Locally, the deteriorating snow will be dependant on sun exposure, wind conditions, elevation and snow depth.

And will generally stay bad for a very long time.  Sometimes even all season.

You'll need to watch the weather religeously and be flexible 'cause your first choice may not be your best until you actually go dig a pit where you intend to ski.

Good luck. 

More
27 Sep 2014 12:46 #222703 by Aleksey
Replied by Aleksey on topic Re: Utah/Colorado safe solo ski tours
look into berthoud pass in co. an easy commute from Denver with the bonus of a cabin situated below mellow trees and glades. berthoud has safer areas but there are plenty that slide with consequence. grandlin.es/ is an excellent source of beta for the area. created by the one and only George Dirth. ask about him when you ski there. the creme of the whole thing is that you dont need to sleep in rental car. somewhere close is a cabin with an iron potbelly stove. ill save you the joy of discovery.
check out seneca rocks in w virginia. there is skiing nearby during the right conditions and a breakfast with coffee is under five bucks.