Home > Trip Reports > October 15, 2005, Muir Snowfield

October 15, 2005, Muir Snowfield

10/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 10/15/05 9:23am
Forecast 6500' freezing level for Saturday encouraged me to consider seeking October turns at Muir.  I met up with two other streakers and one streaker wannabee  ;) for the long trip south at zero dark thirty.  Had my ID checked at the SW entrance to Rainier NP, that was a first for me, has this happened to others?  Guess they don't want folks sharing an annual pass?

Somehow a discussion with the entry point pass checking ranger ensued and she told us the freezing level was 9500', yikes!   My enthusiasm waned considerably at this news and I considered waiting by the fire at Paradise Lodge instead of skiing.  Unfortunately the Lodge closed last week, so I was forced to head up the hill with my friends who promised me a fire at Muir.

Luckily the online forecast was correct and we hiked up through a mist which turned to snow flurries around 6000', brief clearing occurred at Pebble Creek, and we decided to stop upward progress at 9600' in a 20mph white out.  The forecast was absolutely correct.  

Skiing down in the freezing rain was tricky, but fortunately the past few weeks weather seems to have completely covered the big snow cracks of last month, and smoothed the slopes.  Once we reached the tracks of some other skiers, we enjoyed the inch or so of new wet buttery snow.  2100' of pleasant skiing in unpleasant weather for 4200' of hiking, someone else can do the math fun-o-meter.

Hope RonJ and the gang finds better tomorrow, tho the freezing level is forecast to rise to 8500', or has that changed?
My enthusiasm waned considerably at this news and I considered waiting by the fire at Paradise Lodge instead of skiing.  Unfortunately the Lodge closed last week.......

Don't be expecting a nice fire at the Paradise Inn for some time, it's closed for a couple of years due to renovation and a new visitor center,

mr.wild:
i have had my id checked for the past year every time i enter the park.  i made it quite clear that this was offensive.  apparently, there have been numerous pass poachers.  or perhaps i look like a terrorist.

Definitely a great day out there, despite the freezing rain that quickly crept up on us during our descent.  Good to meet a few folks who were a bit newer to the Snowfield.

~L

I have my ID checked everytime I go to the park if it makes anyone feel better about things.  But then, I look like a pass poacher.

Nonetheless, Silas, it was good to see you and the gaggle yesterday.  After leaving you, we continued through the whiteout to Muir and, to our delight, found the uppermost section of the trek both wind-protected and collecting snow.  Moreover, we were approaching the top of the clouds, so visibility was much improved over 700' below.  It was far more pleasing than what we expected.  The run down - lovely.

Skip/Chris...we were thinking about you guys as you continued up in the whiteout.  Glad to hear it was worth the trek!  

Lara & Silas- great to see you up there as well!

We couldn't understand why there were no crowds at the parking lot at the start of such a fine weather day!  ;)

Skip & I momentarily considered turning back in the white-out shortly after passing your turn-around point, but fortunately the sunlight began to filter through the fog at around 9,800-ft, and we seemed to be just below the top of the cloud layer at Muir.  Overall excellent turns for October down from Muir!...and Skipper enjoyed the "launch start" off the Camp Muir hut  ;D

Great day out all around, creamy snow with marginal visibility. Great to meet lots of new folks, and a nice start to a streak! whooohoo!

Reply to this TR

october-15-2005-muir-snowfield
silaswild
2005-10-15 16:23:40