Home > Forum > Sprained Ankle Advice

Sprained Ankle Advice

• DG
  • [DG]
More
11 Sep 2014 09:45 #222622 by DG
Sprained Ankle Advice was created by DG
Hi all,

I sprained my ankle last week in a trail running race. I had it x-rayed (no fracture) and went with crutches and RICE the first few days, which happened to coincide with a pre-planned kayak/camping trip to the San Juans (difficult, but enjoyable).

Anyway, a week later most of the swelling is down, but I'm still limping pretty good. Am trying some intermittent flexibility motions while at my desk job, but want to make sure I don't damage it further.

Figure folks on here may have some good advice too - any recommendations for a strong recovery? (I want it solid for the ski season, of course!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
11 Sep 2014 11:25 #222623 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
Ice, ice,... and then more ice. Keep it up long after you think you need to. Wearing good ski boots will provide good support for your ankle. Remember to ice after those Palmer laps.

• Patarero
  • [Patarero]
More
11 Sep 2014 12:10 #222624 by Patarero
Replied by Patarero on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
Given the apparent severity, might be worth a session with a PT for advice and possible recommendation for a soft brace to support your ankle, or get some thera-bands and google "ankle exercises after a sprain".

More
11 Sep 2014 12:19 #222625 by Bronco
Replied by Bronco on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
Be patient with the recovery, sprained ankles tend to take a long time to heal 100%. At age 31, I had a severe sprain take 4 months to heal enough to run pain free.

More
11 Sep 2014 12:28 #222626 by PhilH
Replied by PhilH on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice

Given the apparent severity, might be worth a session with a PT for advice 

I second the PT recommendation. I found out the hard way that recovery from an injury is much quicker and more complete with the help of a PT.

More
11 Sep 2014 13:43 #222627 by TDB
Replied by TDB on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice

Be patient with the recovery, sprained ankles tend to take a long time to heal 100%.  At age 31, I had a severe sprain take 4 months to heal enough to run pain free.

x2, running on it too hard, too early for me not only lengthened the recovery time but also messed with my knee.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
11 Sep 2014 15:05 #222628 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
Broke my ankle this spring in a bouldering fall. I'd recommend googling for PT exercises to get yourself started. The key, once inflammation is down, is to get that ankle strong again. Eversion/inversion with a theraband is a good one, also heel raises, alphabets, etc. Try not to get too sedentary or it will atrophy and take longer to heal. I'm still not 100%, but I'm able to ski, hike, and jog without much of an issue. Ease back into your running like the others said, and you'll be back soon enough.

• DG
  • [DG]
More
11 Sep 2014 15:12 #222629 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
Thanks for all the replies - it's definitely helpful to hear from active people who've had one, rather than just read the standard WebMD stuff.

I think I'm done with my short career in trail racing - too much temptation to run downhill too fast when someone is breathing down your neck...

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
11 Sep 2014 20:28 - 11 Sep 2014 20:34 #222631 by AlpineRose
Replied by AlpineRose on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
It can actually take longer to fully recover from a badly sprained ankle than from a broken one.  For full recovery, it is absolutely critical to not reinjure that ankle.  If you do, it may never fully heal and/or it will be more prone to future injuries.  So you must play it safe and focus on healing. 

My story:  Years ago, I sustained a very bad ankle sprain in a 10 foot fall.  So bad the doc casted it for three weeks.  After the cast was removed, I used a walking cast for a few more weeks.  I was totally frustrated at the time and thought the doc was really being an old fogy.  Afterwards, it took a few months more to regain 100% flexibility.  However, time has proven the doc was right.  Back then, I think he put the cast on because he knew I wouldn't sit still long enough to let my ankle heal. The initial immobility did allow my ankle to heal completely.  While regaining flexibility was a chore, I have never had trouble with it since, more than 20 years later.

Not saying your ankle needs to be immobilized.  Best to see a professional for guidance on how to let it heal followed by regaining full strength and flexibility.  Recovery really depends on how badly your ankle was sprained.

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
12 Sep 2014 06:20 #222632 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
I destroyed my ankle last Wednesday mountain biking. I'll be starting pt Monday and will keep you informed on exercises. Also doc cleared me to ski by end of month with a grade 3 sprain.

• everestbill
  • [everestbill]
More
12 Sep 2014 07:00 #222633 by everestbill
Replied by everestbill on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
I sprained my ankel this past summer while climbing I Creek with my grandson, At 62, I felt like I got hit by lightning............ICE, RICE, ICE IN A GLASS OF SCOTCH, time to feel... I am 100% now, but for two weeks I thought it would last forever. you don't heal as fast when you are older than dirt. Good luck. BTW it has to be good SCOTCH.

• DG
  • [DG]
More
12 Sep 2014 09:28 #222634 by DG
The confusing part for me is the assessment of when it is more beneficial to start moving it vs. keeping it immobile. My doctor gave me pretty cursory advice (RICE, crutches if I feel like I need them) when I saw him immediately after the injury, so I've been just doing what I think is best since then (immobile, iced for the first 4-5 days, now trying to do flexing exercises, walking (limping) on it). I think I may see if I can see a PT based on what others are saying here, though, as it doesn't feel much better now (over a week in).

• DG
  • [DG]
More
12 Sep 2014 09:39 #222635 by DG

I destroyed my ankle last Wednesday mountain biking. I'll be starting pt Monday and will keep you informed on exercises.  Also doc cleared me to ski by end of month with a grade 3 sprain.

Ouch - sorry man. Encouraging that you could be skiing in a month, though!

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Sep 2014 09:54 #222637 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
3rd/4th the good PT. They're rad.

Time in a pool/lake can be a great way to pull hard and limit impact. Stepping up effort 10% per week feels glacial at first, but it can be the fastest way to go (if you go 1 mile a week this week, a year from now, you're doing 142).

The first week or two of an injury might be the worst -- it seems like it'll take forever to heal. Once you're 2-3 weeks through a 6-8 week layup, you're 25-50% done, and the light at the end of the tunnel is much brighter.

Go gently, heal fast!

• peaceriver
  • [strider]
More
12 Sep 2014 11:53 #222638 by peaceriver
Replied by peaceriver on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
With what you do PT is what you need, likely transition to exercise, gentle ranging, and a ankle brace for a bit, What you do not want to do is develop a reinjury pattern with ligamentous laxity and develop some chronic issue.

Lots of great PT folks around, Quest in Issaquah, owner is Anthony who does lots of Track and field/distance running folks, good with ankles, I have no affiliation with him. Just someone I know of.

c

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
12 Sep 2014 12:00 #222639 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
As several people touched on above, the worst possibilities are re-injury and fresh injuries related to compensating for your weak ankle.  

When I first sprained an ankle back in the Middle Ages (of Western civilization, not my life), I had no context within which to understand what was happening.  I soon felt fine so returned to normal activities far too quickly.  The result was that I sprained the other ankle.  I then compounded the mistake by again returning too quickly and re-sprained the first ankle.  The result: life-long issues with both ankles.  

It's not really a problem any more, since I don't pursue sports requiring rapid direction changes and awkward landings, but for many decades I did so only wearing high-tops--sneakers, hikers, and cleats.  That can definitely crimp your running, twisting, leaping and diving (for frisbees, volleyballs, long drives to left-center, etc.), but it can save you a lot of down time due to chronic injuries.  I've still got a selection of high-tops stashed away in my garage, should you happen to take men's size 11.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark

• David_Coleman
  • [David_Coleman]
More
12 Sep 2014 12:07 #222640 by David_Coleman
Replied by David_Coleman on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
I suffered a SEVERE 3rd degree ankle sprain 3 yrs. ago during a soccer match. Lost complete dorsiflexion for months (I could not bend knee anywhere near beyond the toes while keeping heel planted on ground). I saw a team doc of the Sounders, who said I may never regain full flex again. Well, like many docs, he was wrong. Highly recommend PT, PT, PT & flexing/stretching the area as MUCH as possible to regain full mobility. It took me well over a year, but again, you're not as severe, which is a good thing. I was in a boot for months as well, which caused the area to freeze a bit, despite PT.

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
12 Sep 2014 14:10 #222641 by OldHouseMan
Replied by OldHouseMan on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
DG, Are you in the Portland area? If so, I have an excellent PT that I can recommend to you. I almost look forward to getting injured so I can visit him.

• DG
  • [DG]
More
12 Sep 2014 15:14 #222643 by DG
Hey,

Thanks again for the helpful replies (and offer of hi-tops!) OldHouseMan, I am in the PDX area...so would check the PT out, although may be dependent on my insurance - haven't really figured out what it covers yet...

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
12 Sep 2014 19:48 #222644 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
From last Thursday

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/10675758_10152475828603171_3234041839348588807_n.jpg?oh=9d24676b6b11e0e625f7f4fe242d8c85&oe=54980EC1

More
15 Sep 2014 06:34 #222646 by blitz
Replied by blitz on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
when you sprain you ankle to damage the proprioceptive fibers which tell you where your ankle is in space, are important in coordination and help you protect yourself from a re-sprain - which will cause arthritis and degenerative joint disease if you continue to re-injure it.

you need to regain fine motor coordination as quickly as possible thru physical therapy, here is a link to some exercises.
www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rehabilitati...for-an-ankle-sprain#

I advise you start with
1. ball rolling (roll a tennis ball under a book)
2. practice writing the alphabet in cursive - with your ankle/foot, not with knee or hip.
3. when those are easy, the balance exercises are important

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Sep 2014 07:45 #222647 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Sprained Ankle Advice
The doctor has spoken - hi Alisa!

I had a bad sprain last December. PT is your friend, as many have said. Start as early as possible. The general rule is early movement (non weight bearing) is great as long as it's pain free.

My recovery has been complicated by damage to the underlying bone (just cleared for full activity as tolerated at month 9) - it was a fall from height while bouldering, so there was a lot of energy behind it. Be as aggressive as you can with PT and follow-up with a physician. Try accupuncture - it helps for some folks and worst case scenario you get a nice nap.

Frequent ice and elevation during the acute phase too. Good luck! Injuries suck, but you've got to give them the time they need to avoid chronic problems.